ONTAP Discussions

Disk shelf DSMK2-ESH2 as JBOD

shahid_ikram

Hi

I  want to connect DSMK2-ESH2 disk shelf with 14 disks in it to Cisco MDS  as JBOD. There are two SFP ports on back on module A  & B. It  indicates In and Out. Could you pls explain me how to connect this disk  shelf and to which port the cable should connect. My link between MDS  and Disk shelf is up as TL. I dont see disk in flogi database and also  my QLOGIC Sansurfer does not see the disks as well.

I am new to storage world.

many thanks

shahid

7 REPLIES 7

radek_kubka

Hi Shahid,

I don't think you can do that - these shelves are proprietary NetApp & although can be technically described as JBODs, the only way to "see" them is to use NetApp controllers in front of them.

Regards,
Radek

stevenrodenburg1

I've read about people hanging ESH2 and ESH4 equiped shelves directly to to FC HBA's in Linux machines.

I have a couple of shelves lying around. When i can find the time, i intend to hang them directly to a OpenSolaris/Nexenta system to use the disks as JBOD's with ZFS.

scottgelb

Ben Rockwood posted a nice example some time ago at http://www.cuddletech.com/articles/netapp/netapp-evms.html   You can build a Linux Server to use the shelves...but no example I can think of on how to configure a shelf stack direct to a switch... the switch doesn't have any capability of managing the shelf like ONTAP or Linux.

aborzenkov

Actually, example how to connect shelves directly to switch is Fabric MetroCluster ☺

scottgelb

With ontap :). Zoning in Linux should work too but not as a standalone shelf.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

ferntjsf

All you need to do is install the Fibre channel target rpm into RHEL.  Then you will be able to service LUNs...or use Openfiler which supports FC now...also, Solaris or Nexenta.

ferntjsf

That is not true...this are JBOD and can be used.  However, you may need to do a few things depending of the type of disks in order for the OS to be able to use the LUNs.

@radek_kubka wrote:

Hi Shahid,

I don't think you can do that - these shelves are proprietary NetApp & although can be technically described as JBODs, the only way to "see" them is to use NetApp controllers in front of them.

Regards,
Radek

Public