ONTAP Discussions

Disk shelf DSMK2-ESH2

shahid_ikram

Hi

I want to connect DSMK2-ESH2 disk shelf with 14 disks in it to Cisco MDS as JBOD. There are two SFP ports on back on module A  & B. It indicates In and Out. Could you pls explain me how to connect this disk shelf and to which port the cable should connect. My link between MDS and Disk shelf is up as TL. I dont see disk in flogi database and also my QLOGIC Sansurfer does not see the disks as well.

I am new to storage world.

many thanks

shahid

7 REPLIES 7

ashritha
Hello,

As per my knowledge u can connect from 2 ports of mds 2 sfp cabels in IN port on shelf on both the modules
Insert cables in IN port.

Ash.

shahid_ikram

Thanks, I have both mds ports are up and cables are connected to IN port on both modules. But, I dont see any disks in my flogi database on MDS also my HBA Qlogic does not see any disks as well. I have zoning permitted.

mitchells

How are your ports configured on the MDS?

shahid_ikram

The ports are configured with SWITCHPORT SPEED 2000

SWITCHPORT MODE TL

I tried FL but did not bring the link up.

I have both fc1/1--- Netapp

fc1/2---- server with qlogic hba

both in VSAN 10

default zone permit enable

but still i dont see anything in flogi database for the disks and also nothing in sansurfer manager.

thanks

shahid

shaunjurr

Hi,

Connection NetApp disk shelves for Fabric-Attached MetroClusters requires that you set the FC switch ports to be "N" ports, or "locked N" ports, running half-duplex on Brocade switches.  How that translates to the MDS world, I don't know... yet.

I guess I would first check to see if you can get fundamental functionality with just a single connection to a server with a fibre FC-HBA and then move on to more complexity later.

shahid_ikram

Hi,

I have everything connected correctly. But, the amber light on disk stays on for 3 second and off for 1 second. When I checked the document of ESH2, it says that

- Disk port is bypassed by ESH (either port A or B)

any idea what does it means and who can I fix it?

Many thanks

shahid

shaunjurr

Hi,

I have no idea what you mean by "everything connected correctly".  I'm not sure that this is even helpful.

Start with a simple setup without the switch to see if the disk shelf works at all. There may be faulty disks or other problems preventing connectivity.

Then, include the switch with the port settings I suggested, one "IN" port at a time.

Public