ONTAP Discussions

Disk shelf information

r_preece

Hi all

I am reletively new to NetApp and ONTAP so please be gentle...

I work for a hospital and we have a Netapp storage system running in 7-Mode using ONTAP 8.2.4P6, a previous colleague of mine used to manage this system and unfortunately became a single point of failure once he left.

We are trying to find out when one of our shelves was installed, can anyone advise if this is possible?

Thanks

Richard

4 REPLIES 4

HONIG2012

the best way to find this information is when you bought it - perhaps your netapp sales rep can help you - they should be able to see all Orders for your system and with the shelf S/N they should be able to find this. 

as far as i know there's no "installed at" date somewhere saved. eventually you can try the FRU log which logs the hardware changes if it was correctly enabled.

cheers,

AJ

AlexDawson

We have internal systems that keep track of ship dates for controllers and in some cases disks and disk shelves. Your local account rep from NetApp can assist with getting this information. Some of it is visible on Autosupport/ActiveIQ.

Curious to know how this information impacts your decision making? As long as the disk shelf is connected to the controller at the time the support contract was renewed, the disk shelf would be supported through the contract (and even if it wasn't..)

aborzenkov

@AlexDawson wrote:

As long as the disk shelf is connected to the controller at the time the support contract was renewed, the disk shelf would be supported through the contract (and even if it wasn't..)

Really? We just have been denied shipment of EOS HDDs in system covered by maintenance contract. And it was not the first time when NetApp refused to ship parts that went EOS. So I'm afraid it is not as simple.

AlexDawson
Potentially only the controller was put under maintenance for the most recent renewal in that case? But yes, EOS is a hard stop on replacement of drives. In some instances insufficient parts are available prior to EOS, and replacement equivalents are supplied instead.
Public