ONTAP Discussions

Do I need to also replicate snapinfo volume?

ianaforbes

My customer has a primary and secondary datacenter. We've configured snapmanager for Exchange in the primary and all is working great. They'd now like to use snapmirror to replicate the backups to the secondary site.

This has also been setup just fine. As it stands right now we're replicating the snapmanager backups and using rolling snapshots to replicate the transaction logs. In case of disaster break the mirror and mount the replicated volumes.

They'd also like to be running snapmanager for exchange at the destination datacenter. The plan is if a disaster strikes and they need to be running exchange over at the DR site, they'd like to be protecting the Exchange data with snapmanager - just like the primary site.

Would I need to be replicating the snapinfo volume from the primary in order to have that backup data metadata over at the DR site? Basically, they'd like to be in a position at the DR site that after a disaster strikes and they're now running snapmanager for exchange there, they have access to all of the backups that took place over at the primary site. I know that the snapinfo directory stores the backup set info - so i'd assume that it would need to be replicated as well.

Could someone let me know?

14 REPLIES 14
Public