ONTAP Discussions

Does Edge work with OnCommand Unified Manager?

ckeith

I finally managed to get Data ONTAP Edge installed and up and running, however, I was hopping to use it as part of an OnCommand Unified Manager demo.  OnCommand does "see" it via SNMP, however, when I try and give it the 'root' credentials, it complains with "Unable to validate host credentials.  Please make sure that provided login credentials and admin port/transport detail are valid."  When I click on "More Details" it just states "Internal error. (Error 13114).  I've added a few other filers to the OnCommand server and I don't recall having any issues doing so, so I'm wondering if there is something in Edge that is keeping it from working.  OnComamnd System Manager is able to log into the server so the API port seems to be working.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12

hanar

Support for OnCommand Unified Manager is in our Road Map and is undergoing test. It is not supported at the moment.

ckeith

Just to confirm does "is not supported" mean "will not work"?  Or, just "hasn't been fully tested"?  Put another way, does it surprise you I am having the problem I am having?  The point is, I don't care if it is supported, I just need it to work for a demo.  Not a demo of Edge, but of OnCommand.  Thanks!

andris

Keith,

What version of OCUM are you testing with?

ckeith

According to "dfm version" it is 5.0.2

andris

Thanks. 

Even with 5.1 (latest shipping), the release notes say:

Data ONTAP Edge is not supported.

ckeith

Just to confirm does "is not supported" mean "will not work"?  Or, just "hasn't been fully tested"?  Put another way, does it surprise you I am having the problem I am having?  The point is, I don't care if it is supported, I just need it to work for a demo.  Not a demo of Edge, but of OnCommand.

andris

Sorry... I don't know. Hana might have a clearer answer. What DOT version is your VM?

ckeith

Ug, I shut it down.  It was the 8.1.2_v-T.ova one.  I can boot it back up if you need the specific version it reports.  Thanks for your help...

andris

No need. That tells me it was 8.1.2.

ryanbeaty

You may have to set the option "httpd.admin.enable" to on before NMC can validate the credentials.

ckeith

I tried that, but it made no effect.  Note that OnCommand System Manager works just fine, just not NMC.  What was also odd, is that you don't get any console messages on the Edge "filer" (e.g. "failed login from XXX) when NMC attempts to add it.  I guess I should look at the audit file, to see if any API are coming through.  I would be nice, however, if Hana would just let me know if I am just wasting my time or not.

jeffwhit

Data ONTAP Edge and Edge-T are both supported in Unified Manager for operational monitoring (operations manger aspects) but not yet for provisioning and protection.  As to "should it work", vaildation has not been done to immediately answer the question for those modes.

Public