ONTAP Discussions

Drive Encryption

david_wallis

I notice that Ontap 8 supports encryption, what drives / shelves / controllers and firmware versions is this available on?

I am just looking at getting two new 3270's and it would be a good tick in the box if I can do encryption of data at rest.

David

2 REPLIES 2

scottgelb

Check with your NetApp Rep and the PVR process and approvals needed...the current support is PVR only on FAS2040 and DS4243 shelves and you also need (should get) key management (IBM TKLM) and ONTAP 8.0.1.  I think 8.1 will add 3200/6200 controller support.  If you are using FCP you can still use the Brocade solution front-ending any NetApp FAS, but if you want it on disk then it is the encryption drive option mentioned which has limited support and needs PVR approval.

david_wallis

I was wanting to look at FCOE so the brocade solution is a bit OTT, but I havent rulled it out as I can run native FCP to the encryption switch and then out to the Network and then run FCOE, but at that point its not really worth doing FCOE!

Should have known it wasnt just an enable it, and didnt realise it was subject to the PVR process - I suspect that it wont be a flier then!

I am looking at 4243's anyway, I think I might tell the DBA's to use TDE in SQL.

Thanks

David

Public