ONTAP Discussions

EMC vs NetApp Deduplication - Fact Only Please

wade_pawless

I'm writing this in hopes to become better educated on the facts, not opinions, about the pros and cons as well as similarities and differences between NetApp's "current" Deduplication technology and EMC's "current Deduplication technology.

I have deployed NetApp solutions within my previous environment, but my current (new workplace) utilizes EMC. On a personal note, I prefer NetApp hands down. However, my responsibility is to define the capabilities and make decisions from the facts.

I have read some about EMC and NetApp fighting over Data Domain around 2009. When talking to EMC, they're deduplication recomenations are Data Domain.

EMC claims that their Data Domain product provide real time deduplication at a 4kb block level which they claim to be much more efficient. EMC mentioned that NetApp does dedupliation at around 128kb. THe bottom line is a claim to better performance capabilities. Thoughts?

Does the curent version o ONTAP utilize SIS or Deduplication?

EMC claims SIS is a "limited form of deduplication". http://www.datadomain.com/resources/faq.html#q5

Please clarify the facts regarding the type of deduplication utilized by NetApp as well as any thoughts to the comments above. Facts only please.

As a side note. I'm currently comparing the NetApp VSeries with EMC produt lines. The goal is to place a single device in front of all SAN's to provide snap shot and deduplication to all SAN data. Over time we'll be bringing multiple storage vendors into our environment. The VSeries is a one stop shop. We can vertualize all data regardless of vendor, provide snap shot capability, dedupe the data, and simplify management. EMC's solutions requires me to purchase two new devices, a EMC VG2 and a EMC Data Domain. Event with EMC's recommendations, there is no capability to snap shot other vendor data. The Data Domain appliance will only provide dedupe for all vendors. The EMC VG2 is being recommend to consolidate multiple file storage servers into CIFS as well as provide NFS for virtualization. So, in the end EMC is saying buy one appliance from us to provide dedupe, buy a second appliance to provide NAS capabilities. Wait a minute, all of these features are built into a single NetApp.... Thoughts?

30 REPLIES 30
Public