ONTAP Discussions

Error while covering from 7-Mode to Clustered

ATAGALLIE

Hello Everyone 

I am in the process of converting a FAS2552 from 7-Mode to Clustered. After changing the boot env clustered variable to true and go into the boot menu option 4 to wipe and initialise I am getting the error

"Warning: Data ONTAP has detected an attempt to switch the value of bootarg.init.boot_clustered. Usage of this boot argument requires Technical Support assistance.
If this was an accidental change, ensure bootarg.init.boot_clustered matches the root aggregate of the node."

The file just halts at that point. 

I came across an article that is point me to a KB 2018512. But it seems I dont have permission to access same. 

Any help will be much appreciated 

Anthony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

You need to perform wipeconfig first, so filer "forgets" in which mode it was installed.  This should be done while in old mode. See as example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMOEkO-5I9k&list=PLHSh2r3A9gQRo_kqWmv4Bz-iyg3l8LSmH&index=8.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SeanHatfield

There is one more place the boot mode is stored, as a failsafe against accidental change.  The intent seems to be to ensure support or a partner is engaged when a controller is being converted.  There are a couple ways to clear it, but after the kb site was relaunched I can't tell which KBs are available to who.  So rather than send you a bunch of links you probably can't open, you're probably better off calling support or your partner to get you past it.  You're also going to need a cluster base license key to set up the cluster, which your partner or NetApp SE can get for you.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

aborzenkov

You need to perform wipeconfig first, so filer "forgets" in which mode it was installed.  This should be done while in old mode. See as example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMOEkO-5I9k&list=PLHSh2r3A9gQRo_kqWmv4Bz-iyg3l8LSmH&index=8.

Public