ONTAP Discussions

FAS 2020 Cluster

j2sysadmin

I have two FAS 2020 with ONTAP Release 7.2.6.1.  How can I check my systems to find out if they are clustered. I need to remane my two FAS 2020's.  So if they are if fact clustered what is the process to rename them?  Will I have to uncluster the system first?  Will I also have to bring the systems down to remane? And how do I in fact remane the systems?  Thanks much.

5 REPLIES 5

sinhaa

Hello j2sysadmin,

FAS2020 with ONTAP 7.2.6.1 can be in active/active  cluster pair. To see if they are clustered, on CLI type command "cf status". It will tell you about the partner.

f2050-yyyyy > cf status

Cluster enabled, f2050-xxxxx is up. 

In this e.g. f2050-xxxxx is the partner of f2050-yyyyy

By rename I assume you want to change the hostname of the 2 storage systems. This will need you to run command "setup" on the storage systems and follow the steps. But this is a long task and will need you to set up everything.

A quick way is:

In the file /etc/hosts of the filer. Change the line  that says localhost. Do the following on the storage system CLI.

1. rdfile /etc/hosts

2. Copy the contents to some notepad.

3. edit the line.

127.0.0.1 localhost     <new_name>

4. Copy everything.

5. wrfile /etc/hosts. Paste everything.

6. ctrl+c to break it. You will get error like "read: error reading standard input: Interrupted system call". Ignore it.

7. Similarly edit the file /etc/rc and change the line

hostname <new_name>

If no line which starts with hostname is there in /etc/rc file, add the above line in the end.

8. On the cli,

hostname <new_name>

You are done now. Your new name will start showing immediately. This will be persistent for any reboot operation as well. Its partner will also recognise it with this changed name.

No need to bring anything down, no need to uncluster/disable cluster/ or do anything you don't want to do.

I hope this helps.

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

adaikkap

/etc/hosts entries are not persistent across reboots.

Do run the setup command on the filer and do it, to be on the safer side.

Since its a cluster bringing the partner down would be handled.

sinhaa

@

/etc/hosts entries are not persistent across reboots.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I beg to differ. They are totally persistent and entries remain even after a storage system reboot. The quick method I suggested will work just fine. Like I said "setup" is a long process and needs everything to be reset, you need to to reboot, takeover giveback process etc.

For just changing the hostname I don't recommend it.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

adaikkap

I learned from ONTAP guides that things written to file under /etc are persistent across reboots, which I tried and tested.

Also interesting thing that I found during the test is that after every reboot you need to repeat step 8 of sinhaa.

hostname <new_name>

Otherwise it reverts back to the name as per the setup command.

So I don't think it a viable solution for hostrename.(esp Incase of HA pairs, give back and take over happens)

Regards

adai

sinhaa

@

Also interesting thing that I found during the test is that after every reboot you need to repeat step 8 of sinhaa.

hostname <new_name>

Otherwise it reverts back to the name as per the setup command.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. I think not. Step 7 takes care of it. You don't have to do anything. /etc/rc runs upon every reboot and hence this will be taken care of. I mentioned about a reboot as well that this will be persistent.

7. Similarly edit the file /etc/rc and change the line

hostname <new_name>

Public