ONTAP Discussions

FAS2020 Replication

mark_caudle

Is it possible to use SnapMirror to replicate between 2 x FAS2020HAs over fibre channel?

The FAS2020s both have dual controllers and each controller has a spare fibre connection. Could this be used?

Thanks

Mark

4 REPLIES 4

paulstringfellow

As far as I know, SnapMirror is for IP based replication only, so if the fibre ports where used for Ethernet connections I suppose that could be done…

What are you trying to achieve? Metrocluster type stuff? (not on a 2020 if you are)

Cheers

Paul.

mark_caudle

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the swift reply....

Basically our customer already has a FAS2020 at the primary site and another identical FAS2020 at the DR site. At the moment they are replicating over 100Mb/s network (between the e0b ports at each end), but as they are getting a fibre link installed between the sites, they want to utilise this instead. I think that this may only be supported by using a PCIE expansion card available from the FAS2050 upwards, but need some clarification, or if possible a workaround.

Thanks

Mark

mladen_zecevic

Snapmirror over FC is using IP protocol as well, so you need special adapters for that. Since 2020 has no expansion slots, your only option is IP over UTP.

Br,

Mladen

paulstringfellow

No problem Mark,

As another poster has said SnapMirror over FC is an option on some of the other boxes, working on something on a 3200 series at the moment where that is an option, just don’t think it is something you can do even with a work around on a 2020.

I suppose in the end, the question is what problem are they trying to fix, if they have 100mbs between the sites, is this causing them a problem, SnapMirror especially with compression turned on is pretty efficient and in a 2020 environment, 100mbps between the sites, is normally ample…but if they need more than that, think its things to look at at the LAN level about whether you can provide more bandwidth, in a 2020 environment at least.

Hope that makes sense

R

Paul.

Public