ONTAP Discussions

Find which files are contributing to user quota?

darrendunham

Most of my filers have tree-based quotas, but I have a couple that have user-based quotas.  One of them is giving me problems.

I have a user that has a lot of random stuff in a "home directory" that is up against the user quota.  After deleting some things, there is no change in the quota report.  I suspect that the things the user has deleted are not "owned" by him and are therefore not contributing to his per-user quota.

If this were unix, I'd run a "find <space> -user <username>" to find all the files in the directory that were owned by the user.  But this is CIFS.  Is there some functional equivalent to doing this on windows?  Maybe via powershell?

3 REPLIES 3

mharding

Do you happen to be running a 4.x or earlier version of NetApp Operations Manager?  The File Storage Resources Manager capability would allow for reporting by Owner.

darrendunham

I do run that, but I'm not familiar with where that manager is.

Also, my point in doing this is to get specific file information.  Is that something this manager can do?

scottgelb

The "filestats" command may also be useful.  It can take a long time to run but shows file age, user and group, and busy activity times.  The command points to a snapshot in a volume for processing.

filestats volume volname snapshot snapname          # summary report

filestats -u volume volname snapshot snapname      # file usage by user

Public