ONTAP Discussions

FlexClone - clone a clone? (MSSQL)

mcrossley

Hi there,

I'm just experimenting with FlexClone and its integration with SMSQL. One of the things we will possibly need to do is to make a clone of a clone.

I'm trying it out, but the cloned database is greyed out as an option for cloning through the wizard.

Is this something that's supported? I haven't found any conclusive documentation to answer that.

Thanks!

Matt

4 REPLIES 4

ekashpureff

I don't think it's supported in SMSQL, but you can make clones of clones on the command line.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff
ekashp@kashpureff.org
Fastlane NetApp Instructor and Independent Consultant
http://www.fastlaneus.com/ http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff

(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

mschloss

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately Snapdrive for Windows doesn't support snapshotting a Clone (even flex or lun).

So all other capabilities relying on snapshot operation (backup / restore / clone) are not possible.

With commands on the controller or with SnapDrive for Unix it is possible, so its "simply" a sd-win limitation.

One way to to clone from a clone is to split it out on controller side. After that the lun become snapshotable. However no more space efficient.

Ciao

Michael

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards

Michael Schlosser

Enterprise Infrastructure Architect

NetApp Deutschland GmbH

Gutenbergstraße 10

D-63263 Neu-Isenburg

+49 (0) 6102-3658-3197 Tel

+49 (0) 6102-3659-3188 Fax

+49 (0) 151-120 55 714 Mobil

www.netapp.de

Diese e-Mail kann vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese e-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese e-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser e-Mail und ihrer Inhalte ist nicht gestattet.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended addressee or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

NetApp Deutschland GmbH, Bretonischer Ring 6, 85630 Grasbrunn, Handelsregister: AG München HRB 113907, Geschäftsführer: Manfred Reitner (Vorsitzender), Alexander Wallner, Dr. Dierk Schindler, Volker Weisshaar, Fritz Meijaard

BrendonHiggins

Hi, welcome to the community

It can be done but it does not mean that it should be done.  You are fast heading for the dread, unable to delete snapshot busy,LUN error.  https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1010151  Once there things can really start to snowball and you just don't need that in your life.

1).  Tell the SQL people it can not be done - only one copy is possible.  (They will learn to manage)

or

2).  If they SQL people really need the copy of the copy, look at the LUN clone split command.  It will start eating up your free space.  (You may be able to do something with SIS to pull back the space if it is an issue)

or

3).  If you have a snapmirror site you could get creative but again do you need the extra work?

We use a mix of all 3 methods here but I always try and get them to take option 1.  😉

Hope it helps

Bren

Public