ONTAP Discussions

Getting warning CPU TOO BUSY during dedupe

joeycitrix

Hello All

I was wondering if you guys are getting the same warning as I am with my FAS3240- CPU TOO BUSY @ 96%.

Currently, I have 3 volumes of 4TB hosting VMs. The warning usually occurs @midnight to 6am, this is also the same time dedupe is scheduled to run.

Is dedupe chewing up this much process? When the system is at this level, my VMs are crawling.

thanks

joey

5 REPLIES 5

rmharwood

Just curious - your graphs here show 90%+ CPU usage between around 5AM to 12PM, not between midnight and 6AM. Unless this is a timezone thing.... ?

vmsjaak13

Are you running ONTAP 8 ? if yes what version exactly ?

There are a lot of bugs fixed in the most recent 8.0.1 Patch releases.

Regards,

Niek

shaunjurr

No chance you are you are just hitting problems with backup and virus scanning?

If you actually look at 'sis status -l' then you will see how long the actual sis processes run.  I don't think sis is doing this to a 3240...

🙂

rwelshman

sis does this to my 2020 filer. But I would have thought a 3240 would have more juice.

Although, it might be similar to a scrub where it uses as much CPU as it can if there is no other ongoing activity.

vshevchuk

From my understanding SIS is like scrub where it uses as much free CPU as it can without interfering with your regular I/O. I don't really worry about CPU utilization, infact the higher it is the happier I am to be using more of what I'm paying for as long as it is not impacting clients.  On my 3020s I constantly see CPU jump to ~100% when SIS is running in addition to a scrub, but have not seen any impact to my clients from it.  One thing you should look at is latency during the time you are seeing this high CPU utilization.  If you are still serving out data at the same rate then CPU utilization doesn't really matter.  If you are seeing an impact to clients then definitely further investigation is needed.

Public