ONTAP Discussions

Graphical SnapVault interface?

lines_tim

I need to set up snapvault for my VMware datastores to a remote filer.  This is simple via the command line. The problem is that if I do it via command line, my VMware admins will have no visibility into it, I wont have any reporting ability, etc.

Protection Manager is a bloody, incoherent mess that uses terminology found in no other NetApp product. It might be simple to use if there was good documentation on how to use it. Short of "Read all the Ops Mgr documentation and assimilate it", is there a specific document anyone can recommend that helps?

Is there some other graphical interface that'll do what I want?

4 REPLIES 4

adaikkap

Hi Tim,

I suggest you read the work flow guide and also the Get Started in NMC. The screen shot of which I have attached.

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1113681/html/html/frameset.html

Regards

adai

adaikkap

BTW tim, how are you planning to get the application consistent snapshot replicated to your destination ? I suggest you use SnapCreator and Protection Manager Integration to do the same.

Regards

adai

lines_tim

Yes, I'm going through the work flow guide now. The "Getting started in NMC" isn't bad but while it answers some questions it raises others.

Application consistency should be handled by the VMware VSC plugin, right? My VMware guys can set up whatever policies they want for snapshots there, then I should be able to SnapVault the volume elsewhere.

adaikkap

Hi,

Protection Manager supports 2 kinds of dataset, namely

Application Dataset.

Normal Dataset.

Application dataset does the equivalent of snapvault update -s <snapshotname> srcqtree   dst qtree because of which you get the same snapshot on the primary transferred to secondary. Which is required and in your case its the snapshot taken by VSC.

Whereas normal dataset does the equivalent of snapvault update srcqtree dst qtree, because of which we get different snapshot on primary and secondary. This is an non-application snapshot taken by Protection Manger.

You will have to use any of the SnapManager( as we dont have an integration with VSC and Protection Manger, there is no way to transfer the app consistent snapshots.)

Regards

adai

Public