ONTAP Discussions

Has anyone been able to mount a NFS export share in windows using the inbuilt windows NFS client?

officeworks

Hi folks,

in 7mode we used to be able to mount NFS exports directly in windows with something "net use " or "mount"

we are running clustered data ontap 8.2... but no joy on Windows server.. we just get Network Error - 53

Cdot "by design" will not return any results when you run "showmount -e <vserver>" or "showmount -a <vserver>"

7dot used to return results to these commands quite happily..

I'm thinking windows maybe wanting it to return something before doing the mount.. has anyone been able to successfully mount a NFS export in windows using the native windows NFS client?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pascalduk

Unfortunately for you the native Windows NFS client is not supported with cDOT.

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1368924/html/GUID-24CB7D22-8506-4F1E-A65A-7EA3E4C186AE.html

The issue seems to be that Windows NFS uses non-monitored locks, which cDOT does not support currently. I have not seen an official statement, but supposedly there are plans to add this support to future releases.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pascalduk

Unfortunately for you the native Windows NFS client is not supported with cDOT.

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1368924/html/GUID-24CB7D22-8506-4F1E-A65A-7EA3E4C186AE.html

The issue seems to be that Windows NFS uses non-monitored locks, which cDOT does not support currently. I have not seen an official statement, but supposedly there are plans to add this support to future releases.

officeworks

Ok.. I'm confused now.. .

TR-4067 - Clustered Data ONTAP - NFS Best Practice and Implementation Guide

Section 4.4 NFS on Windows

It is possible to use NFS with clustered Data ONTAP systems on Windows operating systems either by

installing the native Windows NFS tools (such as Services for NFS in Windows 2008 and later) or by

third-party tools, such as Hummingbird/OpenText NFS client, Cygwin, and so on. However, locking with

NFSv3 is not currently supported in clustered Data ONTAP. To use NFS on Windows, either use NFSv4.x

or disable the NLM portion of the NFS client.

Use of NFSv4.x will require interaction with an LDAP server for ID to name mapping, as well as a valid

NFSv4 ID domain.

PCNFS, WebNFS, and HCLNFS are not supported with clustered Data ONTAP storage systems.

So does that mean "it is possible to use NFS" on windows.. but it is not supported?

I haven't been able to confirm this, but I think NFSv4 is only available in win2012, the earlier releases only supported NFSv3.

Other than that.. I haven't been able to find anything on "disable NLM portion of the NFS client" yet.

officeworks

DEAD END.. seems that disabling NLM relates to third party NFS clients only... so it may work.. but is unsupported..

here is another thread on the same topic

http://network-appliance-toasters.10978.n7.nabble.com/CDOT-8-2p5-NFS-w-Win2012-or-Win-7-td25589.html

parisi

Just some clarification on this issue.

The problem is that cDOT does not support the use of non-monitored locks, which is a Windows DOS portion of the RFC standard. Locks are provided by NLM in NFSv3.

So, as a workaround, you'd have to disable NLM on Windows NFS to use it with cDOT. Native Windows NFS does not support this (using nolock as a mount option is not the same), so the only way to get NFSv3 to work with cDOT in Windows is via 3rd party apps like OpenText/Hummingbird.

However, it's not recommended to use NFSv3 without locking. A better approach is to use NFSv4, which has integrated locking/leasing and no NLM. But again, no native Windows NFS support for NFSv4, so 3rd party app is the answer.

Unsupported in this case simply means it has not been tested with NetApp storage on cDOT, thus results and mileage may vary. But I know it works - I've gotten it to work.

TR-4067 will be getting a major update in the coming months with more info about the Windows NFS issue and a TR that explains how to use OpenText with cDOT for Windows NFS is in the works as well.

Please feel free to message me or respond to this thread if you have additional questions.

Maheswaran

Hi,

Windows team try to mount NFS export share from command got  network error - 53.

Jelecos

Good Afternoon,

Has anyone been able to setup a NetApp SVM NFS volume, NFS3 or NFS4 and mount it from Windows Server 2012 r2? If you have been able to, could you let me know how that was configured?

Thank you

Brian

Erickson

nandakumar

PCNFS, WebNFS, and HCLNFS are not supported with clustered Data...

Currently we need to migrate 7 mode volume to CMODE..but while we tested with NFS cmode volume on the legacy Windows  nT,windows 95 with Hummingbird Tools  cannot mount.

At the same time can mount in windows XP.

we are in the position of cannot do any migration if this cannot work , becuse we need to takeover same IP from old NAS for the new SVM...Also find some dcument shows NetApp doesnt support for Hummingbird...

please help to get a solution for this...

Humming Bird Error.jpg

Public