ONTAP Discussions

Head swap 31xx to 32xx

vims

Hello All
we are going to swap heads 3140 to 3250. Currently I am collecting all information and documents that help me smoothly go through that.

due to the rack design it is going to be disruptive upgrade. Is there documentation / procedure / etc.. i can read before plunge into it?

Any bright ideas and own experience are very welcome.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

radek_kubka

Hi,

Have you seen NetApp Hardware Upgrade Procedures pages?

http://support.netapp.com/documentation/bytype/index.html?subtypeID=61045

Regards,

Radek

vims

Hi Radek

Yes this is where I live now FAS3140 to 3250<https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP1140577>

=========================

Victor Safonov MSc, NCIE

WILLIAM_LORENZO

I would love to hear of any of your experiences in this upgrade. At our location we are in the purchase phase of doing the same exact upgrade. Like you I have only found that HA pair upgrade document. Another thing I did was in Operations Manager upgrade my original configs to 8.1 and then compare the differences and read the new documentation about those changes which were pretty few.

RICCO4400

Hi all

I'd be please also to have some feedback and also any link for upgrading from FAS3020 to 3250, as I didn't find on suppport site any document

only upgrading from FAS3040 and 3070

Thanks for your help

Isa

vims

Once I complete the transition I will share all details and documents created.

Victor

vims

Just realized that FAS3250 can't run 8.0.2p3, this is what we are running on all filers. Upgrade is becoming more complicated and more interesting. 🙂

RICCO4400

Hello Victor

Have you taken the plunge?

Any feedback or advice?

Regard

Isa

vims

Hello Isa,

Not yet, due to very complex of production environment it will be a while. I am planning to do it at the end of the April or beginning of the May.

The 32xx can’t run 8.0.x Ontap, because of that we have to bring all our environment to the 8.1.x to meet the requirements.

As you can guess in relatively big companies it can’t be done overnight due to a lot of dependencies and customer related issues.

I will update thread as soon as I done step by step.

Victor

This email and any attachments are intended only for the recipient(s) named in this email and may contain personal and/or confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please email the sender and centralprivacyoffice@coastcapitalsavings.com immediately, and delete the original email. Dissemination, distribution, or copying of all or any part of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not authorized. Email may not be secure, so please advise if you do not wish to be contacted by unencrypted email in the future. Thank you.

RICCO4400

Yes I understand

big compagnie= big process 🙂

I'll be very please to hear from you

As I need to upgrade a FAS3050 to FAS3250 and did not find any documentation on NetApp site about this

All found documents speak about upgrade FIRST old head to 8.1 before swapping it

But FAS3050 do not support 8.1 and FAS3250 do not support 7.3

So ???????

Good luck Victor

ogra

This process is simple but I understand there is no process.

The overall step will be like :

1) Halt of the older controller

2) netboot the new controller with the version it supports

3) Netbooting will automatically upgrade the WAFL labels of the disks attached.

4) Assign new disk's ( destroy mailboxes etc.)

5) You are good to go.

I understand the document recommends 1st upgrading the older controller to the newer version is because it's very simple and there are less chances of committing a mistake.

Good Luck.

You can post me your plan here and I'll be happy to assist.

Cheers.

aborzenkov

There was at least one report where booting DOT8 with disks taken directly from DOT7 resulted in prolonged outage. So if there is a possibility to use the same version on old and new controller, this is definitely recommended. It does not really take much time to update.

Another consideration is that DOT update serves as good health check. At least you can be relatively sure your old configuration is OK.

RICCO4400

You are right, but for example 3050 does not proceed in this way

I read in NetApp document that netboot is not a supported method for upgrading

So not easy choice between "not supported method" and " prolonged outage"

jhubert

According to this page, moving a 7.3 shelf (on a FAS270) to a FAS2240 (8.1) is not an issue. 

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1139715/html/GUID-846504F5-33C8-43D3-A691-7ECF0867EF2E.html

I know it will upgrade the RAID labels, but I wasn't sure the process of keeping the root vol was that simple. 

vims

We have completed the swap. Overall it went very smoothly and no major problems were faced.

The preparation took a long time, almost three months, however it has been paid off totally. We schedule downtime for 12 hours and completed everything including QAing in 9.

The milestones are:

1. Upgraded all NetApp tools to be compatible with version of NetApp (we were going to 8.1.2P4)

2. Upgraded all filers to the version above.

3. Completed headswap.

Issue encounted - BURT 610274, affected multistore license when migrating specifically from 3140 to 3250. 

It is internally listed bug.

SNETAPPUSER

Congratulations!!

Glad to hear you did the head swap quite smoothly.

I also carried out several head swaps during last weekend for one of my customer. There I had to do

1. FAS3140HA to FAS3220AE

2. FAS3140 single controller to FAS3140HA

3. FAS2040 single controller to FAS3140 single controller

We choose Data ONTAP 8.1.2P3 based on applications' requirements

Anyway, things are quite easy with NetApp! thanks to their pure Unified Architecture!!

Public