ONTAP Discussions

Help with MetroCluster

bob212189

Hi Guys

I am quite new to NetApp Filers having previously working on EMC/DELL/3PAR, so the concept of MetaClusters is a new one. I have recently inherited 4 x FAS Filers in two MetaClusters - 2 in a Stretched  MetaCluster and 2 in a Fabric MetaCluster. All are located in the same site, and I am looking to change this setup to a single fabric metacluster utilising 2 x  HA controllers on each site. I was wondering if someone could point me to a document on the implications of doing this? Will all data be lost on all SAN's? Is it possible?

What is the maximum distance for a Fibre Metrocluster? Am I better off converting the metrocluster type to a fibre metrocluster if this is possible on the existing systems?

I have found numerous documents on creating and best practices for MetroCluster, but nothing on destroying and recreating.

Any help is greatly appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

Shared switches are supported for selected configurations. Assuming yours is qualified, the actual task is pretty boring. There is no data loss and existing FMC can remain online.

I do not see any advantage (from NetApp side) in doing it. Distance limit is several hundred kilometers to my best knowledge, but there are other considerations as well.

I would not do it if you are new to NetApp - it is not rocket science, but having some experience helps. If possible, try to involve professional services from NetApp or partner.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

aborzenkov

Shared switches are supported for selected configurations. Assuming yours is qualified, the actual task is pretty boring. There is no data loss and existing FMC can remain online.

I do not see any advantage (from NetApp side) in doing it. Distance limit is several hundred kilometers to my best knowledge, but there are other considerations as well.

I would not do it if you are new to NetApp - it is not rocket science, but having some experience helps. If possible, try to involve professional services from NetApp or partner.

bob212189

Thanks Radek

Just to make sure I have it right,

I would keep the current NetApp metro clusters as is, simply migrate the stretched to fabric, making sure that I have qualified FC Switches between sites. I would then simply ship the second units to the DR site and reconnect and synch once they are up? Is that correct?

So in essence, I can have two seperate Fabric Metro Clusters replicating from Primary to DR using the same infrastructure (10GB, 40KM distance sub 1ms ping).

I will get a pro to come and do the work, I just want to get an idea of the design myself.

radek_kubka

Yes, it sounds right - all subject to checking compatibility matrices, etc.

aborzenkov

Yes, you got the picture right.

radek_kubka

I am looking to change this setup to a single fabric metacluster utilising 2 x  HA controllers on each site

Not doable - you can have two MetroCluster setups sharing (potentially) back-end FC switches, but it will be still two HA pairs *spanning* sites. MetroCluster-type setup linking local HA pair to a remote HA pair is hinted in Clustered ONTAP 8.3.

What is the maximum distance for a Fibre Metrocluster?

Up to 200km depending on speed, cabling, and the number of connections.

Regards,
Radek

Public