ONTAP Discussions

How do I get the information, if a file has already one or more blocks referenced 255x?

mschoen

In an VMware environmet several VMs (17) are stored in a deduped volume.

These VMs shall be cloned using file based FlexClone. Unfortunatly most of the VMs have already blocks which are referenced 255x and therefore the clone takes ages (1 week for a 500GB VM).

I am looking for a command which tells me, if a file has already blocks included which can't be cloned/referenced again because of the 255 limit.

This funtionality is build in into RCU, therefore should exist. However, RCU does not fullfil all requirements as these clones will be used as backup and should not appear as VMs in Vcenter.

Thanks in advance,

Marco

2 REPLIES 2

lfreeman

Hi Marco,  having more than 255 references to a deduped block should not cause the clone process to run as slow as you've stated below.  I suspect there is something else going on, I'll check with our developers and let you know if I come up with anything.  In the meantime suggest you open a case with NetApp support so they can diagnose too.

Regards,

Larry

mschoen

Larry,

Case has been already opened. Result was use RCU, this will use NDMP copy to copy the file instead of using the "slow" approach.

Therefore I am looking how the get information if a files has already one or more blocks referenced 255x.

Regards,

Marco

Public