ONTAP Discussions

How do I snapvault a LUN?

GARY_WILLIAMS

I've tried this on a production system and a test system.

I've got live data on one system thats got a bunch of luns in qtrees - that snapmirrors just fine to a secondary and from that I want to snapvault to a teritary.

Whenever I try I get messages like this:

Snapvault configuration for the qtree has been set.

Tue Oct  9 22:00:23 BST [replication.dst.err:error]: SnapVault: destination transfer from filerfour:/vol/data to /vol/sv_data/qtree : cannot replicate a volume with LUNs to a qtree; each qtree must be individually replicated to another qtree.

Tue Oct  9 22:00:23 BST [replication.src.err:error]: SnapVault: source transfer from /vol/data to filerfour:/vol/sv_data/qtree : cannot replicate a volume with LUNs to a qtree; each qtree must be individually replicated to another qtree.

Transfer aborted: cannot replicate a volume with LUNs to a qtree; each qtree must be individually replicated to another qtree.

what the hell is it on about? What has to be individually replicated? I can't SV a QSM and I can't snapvault from a qtree so whats it on about?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mh_sh_team

I'm pretty sure you should include the source qtree name in the command line.

How did you write it? it should be some thing like:

snapvault start -S filerfour:/vol/data/DesiredSourceQtreeName to filername:/vol/sv_data/qtree

This will create a snapvault relationship between the desired qtree with the contained lun inside of it to the new qtree.

Notice that the qtree called "qtree" shouldn't exist in the destination volume as it is created automatically by snapvault.

Let me know if this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mh_sh_team

I'm pretty sure you should include the source qtree name in the command line.

How did you write it? it should be some thing like:

snapvault start -S filerfour:/vol/data/DesiredSourceQtreeName to filername:/vol/sv_data/qtree

This will create a snapvault relationship between the desired qtree with the contained lun inside of it to the new qtree.

Notice that the qtree called "qtree" shouldn't exist in the destination volume as it is created automatically by snapvault.

Let me know if this helps.

GARY_WILLIAMS

Cheers, this worked on the test system so I'll try it on production.

I was always told to go volume to qtree so didn't even think to try this!

Public