ONTAP Discussions

How to cancel a running VSC job that isn't truly running?

jkoelker01

I have a backup running in Virtual Storage Console 2.1.2 since last week. Normally these backups are seconds long. I know the backup is just plain stuck. How do I cancel that so I can remove some of the previous backups for that job? Thanks in advance for any help.

4 REPLIES 4

stephan_troxler

Do you speak of a backup tasks named "NetApp Create Backup" which stucks between 70-80%?

brauntvr2swiss

Last Week I Had to restart the VSC service for removing a stucking Backup Task...

jkoelker01

Yeah I ended up restarting the service to get it to stop. I would like to know why some basic backup features are not there such as cancel or pause or something. Even if it was through command-line I would be satisfied. Thanks to all of those who responded.

stephan_troxler

I had the problem with unstoppable tasks a couple of times recently and found no other way to clean this tasks but restarting the VCenter services. I found out that a possible reason for the the problem are long running tasks of single VMs during the phase where the backup snapshot is being removed. Some servers under heavy I/O can take up to one hour until this is done (since the filer serving the disks is not under load, it seems to be a problem of the VM) and I think a timeout in the whole backup process happens somewhere. The strange thing is that whenever I have a hanging backup job, the backup snapshot on the storage side (volume snapshot) is not done. In my understanding this snapshot should be triggered after the last VM snapshot has been done but before they are removed. As I workaround I tried to set different backup windows for the jobs and so far it worked.

Public