ONTAP Discussions

How to clear the options setting of cf.hw_assist.partner.address

kenji_toyooka

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to clear the IP addresss that is set options cf.hw_assist.partner.address ?

Thanks,

-Kenji Toyooka, CTC Japan

11 REPLIES 11

aborzenkov

Does the following work?

cf.hw_assist.partner.address “”

otherwise if hw_assist is disabled, this option is irrelevant anyway. Why do you want to clear it explicitly?

kenji_toyooka

Hi Aborzenkov,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried "" or 0.0.0.0 to clear the setting.  But It's not working with an error like "incorrect IP address format".

I don't think it is possible to clear.  It may be the only way to disable the hw_assist option, I think too.

Thanks,

Kenji Toyooka

scottgelb

"" works to clear other options... I can't test cf.hw_assist in the vsim, but for timed.servers for example.  If it does work for hardware assist it might have to be disabled to clear it... But I agree with Andrey...if disabled it doesn't matter.

Example where "" clears an option back to blank

vsim-7m-2> options timed.servers

timed.servers                192.168.150.11

vsim-7m-2> options timed.servers ""

1 entry was deleted.

vsim-7m-2> options timed.servers

timed.servers

sam_wozniak

Kenji, I know what you mean as I've tried clearing this options with the double quotes as well but it didn't work.  I still don't have an answer but meant to ask PS Help...

On a related note, I was wondering - but didn't find out the answer - is which interface should actually be specified in a system with SPs.  I know with RLMs on/connected/enabled, I thought that IP/interface was automatically used for this option but it doesn't seem the case with the SPs. 

scottgelb

Should be the management port.. e0M if used or other port if not used. The ip on that port.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

sam_wozniak

Good to know.  Is the recommendation to use the management interface because it's generally less used?  As a general practice, I usually don't configure the e0M port because management is usually done through the interface on the standard VLAN interface and also because of the potential of routing data over e0M.  So without e0M, which interface would you use?

aborzenkov

It does not matter. Any interface that can reach partner RLM/SP/whatever would work technically. HW assist is entirely optional anyway, although I have seen it in action once.

aborzenkov

I believe it is actually using interface which corresponds to filer hostname by default. If my memory serves me right, hostname must be associated with interface, I got weird errors during boot if it was not the case.

scottgelb

That's right. Host name based ip from what I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

sam_wozniak

Thanks guys.  So, in the end, we don't really have an answer to clear the IP used for the hardware assist, but we can turn it off.  Your input does help with which IP/interface should be used for the option is very useful.  I myself have had issues with using the primary interface for setting the option on each controller. 

scottgelb

Good idea on Pshelp. They have been really amazing. Quick to respond and great follow up. Can't say enough good things about them.

Public