ONTAP Discussions

How to copy ontap 9.1p12 image file to /etc/software folder in 8.3.1 RC1 cluster mode

uppadalaxman

Hi Mates,

I am planing to upgrade Data ontap from 8.3.1RC1 to 9.1p12. In our environment we dont have http and ftp servers.

Even i have tried online http web severs like hfs & mos.exe, but it was failed to copy the image file with the error "Failed to add the software image to the cluster. Verify if the image and the specified URL are valid and ensure that there is sufficient space in the system management storage area"

Can any one help me how to copy ontap image file in to /etc/software folder in the cluser mode. even i have tried to open ETC $ share.

when i hit the cifs share show command i did not  find ETC share, there are only admin$ and c $ share.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

Hi there,

Unfortunately you need to have a HTTP or FTP server to do this.

Please continue working through the configuration of your web server software to enable access to the file.

Try accessing it from another system on the same subnet as your filer and see what the error message is, and also review the webserver logs.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

AlexDawson

Hi there,

Unfortunately you need to have a HTTP or FTP server to do this.

Please continue working through the configuration of your web server software to enable access to the file.

Try accessing it from another system on the same subnet as your filer and see what the error message is, and also review the webserver logs.

Good luck!

GidonMarcus

@AlexDawson - HTTP or FTP *

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

AlexDawson

Too many TLAs! Well spotted Gideon, thanks 🙂

uppadalaxman

Thanks every one who has been provided the information and solutions towards the issue raised by me.

I beleive the only option is that , We need to establish HTTP/FTP server to perform DOT upgrade in cluster mode.

There is no possiblity to copy the DOT image to /ETC/software folder like how we perform in 7 mode.

Thank's every one Appericiated your efforts !!

@AlexDawson wrote:

Too many TLAs! Well spotted Gideon, thanks 🙂

HyperDiskhead

\\filername\c$\etc\software if it's exported as a share. Shame the documentation doesn't state this or the upgrade plans - it's hidden.

thokelly

Hi,

you can use a simple, temporary webserver like http://www.aidex.de/software/webserver/

I am using it for image installs and it works just fine. I just start the Mini WebServer as long as I need it for transferring images and stop it afterwards.

Give it a try...

/

Tom

AlexDawson

Hi there! We have just released ONTAP 9.4, which includes the ability to upload images for update.

Of course, first you need to get to 9.4 without that feature. But after that, you're good.

aborzenkov
“\\filername\c$\etc\software if it's exported as a share.” - in C-Mode? Really?

kayyumanwar

I dont see \\filername\c$\etc\software anywahere

Public