Data ONTAP Discussions

Highlighted

Re: How to create Root aggregate across external shelf during initialization

Maybe “appended” then? 

Regarding this comment:

3. As you noted, if you expand a RG with partitions, spare whole disks will be automatically partitioned. That said, you would avoid the wasted P1 partition "tax" if you simply created a new RG with your external shelf drives as whole disks.

Not always the best in this case. Why? If I have 11 or 12 partitioned disks (using RAID-TEC), This should be something like 7d+3p+1s  or 8d+3p+1s or 7d+3p+2s. In all cases, RAID-TEC is using 3 parity drives. If I create another Raid Group (of say 8d+3p+1s), it will consume 3 more parity drives (30TB). If I just expand the RAID-group and let the system partition, the worst case you are losing 100GB per disk for the root partition (that would be up to 1200GB which is much better than 30TB).

Exceptions to everything, right? If I have more than an extra shelf, then I would have to consider what happens as I expand and do I plan to add more in the furture. i.e. Do I want the Parity tax now (ad be able to add drives later with no potential partity needed) or just add the parity later?

Hallo Zusammen,

bin heute in den gleichen Fehler reingelaufen. FAS2720 mit 8 TB SATA  Disks. Habe entsprechend den 24 Disk ansatz verfolgt. Hat das Problem gelöst. Die neuen Root Aggregate sind aber dennoch mit 5 Platten Raid_DP angelegt. Ich denke auch an einen Bug. Habe Konsolen-Logs mitgeschnitten. Werde sobald ich etwas Zeit habe einen Case aufmachen dafür. War mit 9.5P8 also aktuelles Release.

Werde Updaten, wenn ich etwas neues habe.

MfG Claas

Hi, and oops. Sry for using german.

I today hit the same issue with a FAS2720 with 8 TB SATA ( 9.5P8 ). Used the 24 disks approach. Solved the issue for me. The new root aggregates are created with raid_dp and using 5 Disks, which is pretty odd, the error messages given. Think about a bug as well. Have logs with me and will try to file case as soon as I find any time for it. Will update accordingly.

best regards

Claas

Forums