ONTAP Discussions

How to move a snapmirror destination volume to new destination volume on new hardware?

nhammes

Hello all, trying to find out if there are any other options for moving a snapmirror destination volume from an old filer (32-bit aggr) to the new destination filer (64-bit aggr).  Now I understand the limitations about snapmirror in that the aggr's have to match, but is it possible to do a NDMPcopy from the 32-bit to the 64-bit aggr on the destination filer and then resync the snapmirror relationship using the new destination vol as the baseline (basically trying not to have to do a new initialization)?  this is for Vol Snapmirror, not qtree.  I know there is the SM2T or LREP methods for seeding the baseline, but was hoping there was another way to do it...

I've read several things regarding this type of move if it is a qtree snapmirror or snapvault, but nothing about Vol snapmirror...

What are other people doing now with migrating to 64-bit aggrs?  is there a recommended best practice from NetApp?

Thanks very much for any insight or help with this.

Nate

1 REPLY 1

Darkstar

VSM is not possible between 32 and 64 bit. Even if you *could* move your destination from 32 to 64 bit, your SnapMirror Relationship would not work anymore because your source is still 32bit. You need to migrate both the source and the destination to 64bit, and then it is probably faster to just migrate the source and do a new baseline transfer (via LREP/SM2T if your bandwidth is limited)

-Michael

Public