ONTAP Discussions

How to resolve Excel file locked another user but the status say not locked

ambrosenkum

How you resolve an Excel Excel file locked another user but the status say not locked? I've tried everything possible to fix this, but the status of file says its not locked but when launch the file it say that its locked. Is there a way that I delete this file?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

dominicb

Check in the MMC that there are definitely no sessions locking the file.

It should drop the lock when the cifs idle timeout is reached (default 30 mins).

Restarting cifs will release it, however this will cause a service interruption to the cifs users so you would have to do it during a system downtime window.

There is a KB on this scenario here: https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2011588

In the meantime if they need urgent access to the file and can't open it you could get a copy back from a snapshot, if you have them enabled.

KlausKinzer

Hello,

you can logon to a windows PC: computer, connect to the Filer, Shared files, Open Files. If there is the file open just close it. Or try the file ofl (open file list)

Klaus

ambrosenkum

Domincb I think you're correct on the CIFS restart. Its not seen in the MMC and I'll have to wait until a maintenance window occurs before I can resolve this. Thanks!!!

mjschneider

Hi,

I just ran into this issue with a excel file on our filer.  We were about to give up when i found the 'lock status' and 'lock break' commands.

When viewing open sessions in the MMC console it didnt show anyone connected to the file either. But when i did a lock status -f  on the file it showed that there were in fact multiple locks on the file in question.

So i then did a

lock break -f <filename> -p cifs

That command completed successfully and we were then able to delete the file.

Here is the output of the 'lock status' command for anyone who is interested (i've replaced sensitive info with 'x's):

FILER9> lock status -f "/vol/xxxxxxxxx_vol1/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx2011.xlsx"
========0560d11a:0075c0d9
CIFS path=\xxxxxx\xxxxxxx\xxxxxx\xxxxxxx2011.xlsx(/vol/xxxxxxxxx_vol1/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx2011.xlsx) host=x.x.x.x(computernamexxx) owner=xxxbad_userxxx state=GRANTED mode=Read-denyW oplock=None
CIFS path=\xxxxxx\xxxxxxx\xxxxxx\xxxxxxx2011.xlsx(/vol/xxxxxxxxx_vol1/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx2011.xlsx) host=x.x.x.x(computernamexxx) owner=xxxbad_userxxx pid=65279 offset=2147483539 len=1 excl=yes state=GRANTED
CIFS path=\xxxxxx\xxxxxxx\xxxxxx\xxxxxxx2011.xlsx(/vol/xxxxxxxxx_vol1/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx2011.xlsx) host=x.x.x.x(computernamexxx) owner=xxxbad_userxxx pid=65279 offset=2147483539 len=1 excl=yes state=GWAITING
CIFS path=\xxxxxx\xxxxxxx\xxxxxx\xxxxxxx2011.xlsx(/vol/xxxxxxxxx_vol1/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx2011.xlsx) host=x.x.x.x(computernamexxx) owner=xxxbad_userxxx pid=65279 offset=2147483579 len=1 excl=yes state=GRANTED
CIFS path=\xxxxxx\xxxxxxx\xxxxxx\xxxxxxx2011.xlsx(/vol/xxxxxxxxx_vol1/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx2011.xlsx) host=x.x.x.x(computernamexxx) owner=xxxbad_userxxx pid=65279 offset=2147483599 len=1 excl=yes state=GRANTED

ambrosenkum

I did the lock status and lock break commands but the file says its not locked on the cifs side but is locked in windows. The CIFS restart possibly resolve my issue. Thanks though.

Public