ONTAP Discussions

I currently use SME in my Exchange environment. Do you have a solution for single item recovery?

sflynn

NetApp Single Mailbox Recovery, or SMBR for short, is our single item recovery solution. Using SME created backup sets, you can mount the LUN within a Snapshot copy that contains the Exchange database that you want to recover mail items from. You would also mount the LUN that contains the transaction logs for that same backup set. Once mounted, you'd start SMBR, point to the locations for the database and transaction logs and recover mail items by literally dragging and dropping them back into a user's mailbox.

You have several options when using SMBR. You can recover items from:

1. Exchange database

2. A pst file

3. A content analysis store

And once the items that you're looking for are found, you can place them:

1. Into the user's mailbox live on the Exchange server

2. Into a pst for archiving

3. A content analysis store for further analysis

SMBR also includes new advanced search capabilities to make it much easier for an Exchange administrator to find items they're looking for. The new functionality allows you to specify keywords, dates, search within attachments, all to make it easier to located the desired mail items.

3 REPLIES 3

sflynn

How many folks require a single item recovery solution in their environments?

reinoud7

Today, we have Single Mailbox Restore. This is for me an assurance. We use it 1 to 2 times a year. Most of the time to recover some calendar items. Most of the time, the user has tried to synchronize his PDA with his outlook and the result was not what the user wants.

Because we set the delay time on the exchange server for the delete items on 30 days (even when a user cleaned his trash, those mail items stay on the exchange server for 30 days and the end-user can restore those items himself), the change that we must recover one mail item is very low.

sflynn

Is it typical to only run SMBR once or twice a year?

Public