ONTAP Discussions

Imported relationship requires new baseline

keahey

I was at a customer the other day and we tried importing on of his existing snapmirror relationships.  Once we got the import completed, the compliance box said that a new baseline would need to be done.  I had not seen this happen before.  Does anyone know what might have caused this to happen?

6 REPLIES 6

smoot

This is because ProtMgr noticed something we didn't like about the destination volume and so we think we need to create a new one. Language settings, size, aggregate fullness and other factors can cause this. The preview results ought to have explained why we didn't like the current destination volume. If the preview is not clear enough, contact Global Support, they have a checklist of things to look for.

adaikkap

Pete correct me if I am wrong, all of what you said only applies when we try to add the secondary volume as physical resource to the dataset and not on import.That's what I remember.

Regards

adai

smoot

When you import a relationship, the secondary volume gets added to the dataset as part of the import.

adaikkap

But all these check are not done on imported volumes, that what my test says.

Regards

adai

adaikkap

Did you see the  protection  status as "Baseline Failure" after import ?

If yes, then this is a known issue.

When you import the relationship into a new dataset, it will show an error status of "Baseline Failure".

Simply run an on-demand backup job and it will clear this error.

Note: The backup job doesn't perform a re-baseline. It simply does a Snapvault/SnapMirror update as the case may be.

Regards

adai

shaunjurr

Hi,

I have played with PM a little and this was one of the main reasons that I didn't continue with it.  I'm not sure how well this is documented (DFM/OM/PM docs have never born much fruit for me unfortunately), but if PM says I have to "re-initialize" every relationship (I had 500+ at one point) then integration is going to be more than scary for most people. 

Wouldn't it be a good idea to change the error message here?  ...or some part of the import procedure so that an update is attempted to clear this "baseline error" state before scaring the crap out of the admin?

Public