ONTAP Discussions

Install New Disk Shelf in FAS3020

brucebell

Hi,

I have a FAS3020 that I need to install a new Disk Shelf in. I'd like to install it myself, but I would like some instructions on the best way to proceed.

I'd appreciate any insight you can offer on accomplishing this task.

Thank you. Bruce

2 REPLIES 2

shaunjurr

You will find hardware installation documentation on the NOW site  (now.netapp.com) .

peterpanxiii

You are talking of a DS14, I suppose?

Put it in the rack, set the correct Shelf-ID on the back of the shelf, set the correct Speed (1/2/4 GB) on the back of the shelf, cable only the power supplies first, power it on, wait for ~30 sec for the shelf to finish spin up (2 beeps will be heard), and then cable the data cables (copper, I guess).

If this is a HA mulltipath cabling of a cluster, you will have to change this as well. From the last shelf in the loop the connection leads back to the opposite filer head. As your new shelf will be the new last shelf in the loop ...

All configurations, but MetroCluster allow no more than 6 shelves in a loop. If necessary open a new loop.

If this is a MetroCluster and you have never done this before, I strongly recommend not to do this on your own.

I strobly recommend reading installation documentation as well, which can be found on NOW as shaunjurr already posted.

HTH

Peter

Public