ONTAP Discussions

Is there a way to move volumes from one SVM to the other without interruptions?

heightsnj

Using rehost or snapmirror all would cause services interruption. Is there a way can do that undisruptively ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

Is creating new NFS Datastores and moving VMs over using host side methods (Storage VMotion) an option?    

And then just leave the CIFS in place. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TMACMD

It Depends!

Moveing the volume, probably not so much.

If it is a LUN, I could create a new LUN in the new SVM and possibly use the HOST to replicate and then detach the old LUN.

I suspect they may be some external products that could make this happen, but not directly from ONTAP. a Volume is tied to only ONE SVM. Changing SVMs will change certain details about the volume and will ultimately cause a break in any connected clients. Additionaly, the chance is fairly high that the IP addresses will also change.

heightsnj

Thanks!

They are all NFS/CIFS volumes/datastores.

Actually the reason I am asking because we wanted to split volumes from a SVM to two.

In my opinion, we will have to create new IP's and new everything for the new SVM, and then snapmirror or rehost part of volumes to the new SVM. 

Any better ways you can think of?

SpindleNinja

Is creating new NFS Datastores and moving VMs over using host side methods (Storage VMotion) an option?    

And then just leave the CIFS in place. 

Public