ONTAP Discussions

Is there any way to lock vfiler configuration?

FRANCISCOCA

Hi,

In my company, we are ten members on the team, and we are managing netapp with full access. The other day we had a case where someone created another new vfiler and made a typo in the command using like vfiler name the name of an already existng vfiler instead of a new one.

As result the ips from already existing vfiler was changed and volumes in it were not accesible from vms.

Would there be any way to protect or keep locked the configuration of an vfiler which is being used ?

Regards

4 REPLIES 4

JGPSHNTAP

This doesn't make sense to me.  Are you creating the vfiler on same controlller.  If you are, then you should be prompted for an error b/c that vfiler already exists

Vfiler "vfiler_test" already exists.Vfiler "vfiler_test" already exists

Vfiler vfiler_test not created

FRANCISCOCA

Hi,

Well, the thing was that the vfiler was created and assigned its root volumen, there was no problem due to the vfiler name was a new one. Whoever assigning ip in the new vfiler created was wrong, instead of do it in that new one it was done in another existing one, the command used was something like:

rsh -n filer_name "priv set advanced;vfiler run vf_name_already_exists setup -e interface:ip:netmask -p XXXXXX"

Thus: vf_name_already_exists got a new ip

Regards

JGPSHNTAP

This needs to be an education on how stuff works..

FRANCISCOCA

Actually it was a typo. And what i'm looking for is about any way to protect that setup to avoid this kind of changes.

Public