ONTAP Discussions

Jobmanagement of Protection Manager Jobs handled through Third-Party-tool?

mkerst

Hello together,

a costumer of mine wants to know if the following scenario would be able to do:

Concept: Primary-Systems doing local snapshots and replication on DR-Systems through SnapMirror every 30 Minutes.

From both sites (Primary and DR) trigger SnapVaults on different Secondary-Systems every day.

Having Protection Manager I can handle all the stuff through different policies running on Data- and Ressoucrce-Pools.

Protection Manager is handling every job and track the results. Easy doing, secure and efficient!

What if there is a global Jobmanagement tool in place and they want to handle these jobs with scripts that trigger Protection Manager out of this third-party-tool?

Is this possible by using different scripts?

What about alerting? Is it possible to deliver any alarms or reports to a ticketing-system?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards, Michael

5 REPLIES 5

fenton

I would have thought this woudl have been possible but might require a liltle Script/Engineering and/or integration;

There is a CLI (and AP)I to start a backup job for a dataset (dfpm backup start) which will allow your external scheduler to trigger the start of the backup;   I would suspect you'd need do the following:

- Create a null schedule on the dataset

- Write a script to kick the start of the backup off (using dfpm backup start)

- formulate some mechanism to watch the job execution

- either have you script watch the status of the protectionmanager job and exit accordingly or,

- setup job monitoring so that DFM forwards job failures to an SNMP system which can geenrate your alerts/trouble ticket

Any reason why you want an external scheduler to manage the scheduling and not PM ?

adaikkap

There are events which will let you know when the job completes.

dataset-backup:aborted                        Warning      dataset-backup
dataset-backup:completed                      Normal       dataset-backup
dataset-backup:failed                         Error        dataset-backup

Regards

adai

mkerst

Hi Adai,

thanks for your answer.

This will help.

Kind regards, Michael

mkerst

Hi Fenton,

thanks for your quick answer.

The bigger a company the more static they get for changing some processes. 😉

They have this central jobmanagement tool in place and just wanted to know if our protection manager can be integrated.

Do you know if it is possible that special policies of protection manager can be used through scripts?

E.g. like "DR then Backup" (lokal backup-retention, Snapmirror-scheduler, SnapVault Scheduler in this order).

Or do I have to script it all separatly?

thanks again,

kind regards Michael

smoot

Hi Michael --

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question.  I think ProtMgr will do what you want but you might have to write more than one script.

If you run 'dfpm backup start -N "Primary Data"', we'll only create a snapshot on the primary volumes.

If you run 'dfpm backup start -N 'Backup'", I believe we'll update all the mirror relationships, then initiate SV transfers to the SV destination volumes. We'll make sure the SV transfers don't start until all the mirror updates are complete.

Is that what you're asking? If not, give me a call and we can work it  out.

I'll also point out that it's often easier to grab our SDK and invoke Protection Manager APIs than to invoke commands and parse the output. It's up to you, either one works.

-- Pete

Public