ONTAP Discussions

LUN RENAME

NAYABRASOOL

Hi all,

How to rename a lun , will the LUN MOVE command will do for this wat are all the prerequisites i need to have do i need to have same lun size to be created on the same volume .

Ex:- say i have a old lun size of 700GB on top of 750GB volume(OLDVOL) with name LUNOLD now i need  to change it to LUNNEW and volume name  NEWVOL.

please advise how i can do this.

Thanks

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

radek_kubka

Hi Nayab,

lun move command simply renames the LUN, not actually moving it anywhere - it must exist & volume name is totally irrelevant:

lun move /vol/vol_name/old_lun_name /vol/vol_name/new_lun_name

It is like renaming a file really.

Regards,
Radek

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

aborzenkov

Lun move will “rename” it but only within the same volume. If you need to move it to different volume you need to copy it using any available method (snapmirror, ndmpcopy, vol copy) and possible use “lun move” on new volume.

NAYABRASOOL

Hi aborzenkov,

Iam not going to copy it i am just going to rename it now could you please tell me syntax to do this and one more thing do i need to have a LUN created already to rename the old LUN to the new one ??? please advise on this with SYNTAX.

Thanks,

Nayab

NAYABRASOOL

Yes i will be doing this in the same volume and after renaming the LUN i need to rename the VOLUME as well please advise accordingly

Thanks,

Nayab

radek_kubka

Hi Nayab,

lun move command simply renames the LUN, not actually moving it anywhere - it must exist & volume name is totally irrelevant:

lun move /vol/vol_name/old_lun_name /vol/vol_name/new_lun_name

It is like renaming a file really.

Regards,
Radek

NAYABRASOOL

Hi Radek,

Thanks a lot for your response , So no need to have a pre-created LUN on this VOLUME with NEW name ??? right and i can just mention the new path and rename it ??? what about the vol rename this also i can do in the same fashion without affecting my production ??? please advise.

Thanks,

Nayab

radek_kubka

No, you should not pre-create a LUN with new name.

And yes, you can rename a volume non-disruptively as well:

vol rename old_name new_name

NAYABRASOOL

So i will be doing it for

FAS02 > lun move /vol/oldvol/oldlun  /vol/oldvol/newlun

VOLUME

FAS02 > vol rename oldvol  newvol

Above steps are exactly wat i need to do , please confirm no downtime required for this activity so that i can go head n mark yours as answer.

Thanks,

Nayab

radek_kubka

commands look OK to me.

As far as no downtime is concerned:

It *should* work non-disruptively (& does for me), but you really shouldn't ask for such guarantees on communities - it is a question for your NetApp support

JIULING_SHENHUA

Hi,

Use the command as "lun move /vol/vol_name/old_lun_name /vol/vol_name/new_lun_name"

Public