ONTAP Discussions

LUN SPACE CONFUSION

NAYABRASOOL

Hi All,

I have got an alert for my volume threshold reached as the space left on volume was only 12MB out of 107MB i have lun on top of this Volume which is of size 102MB, i have conveyed the client about this but he was telling the lun what he is using  on the windows side it was showing 61.1 MB free , so could anyone please explain about this.

Thanks,

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

VKALVEMULA

check with client if you can delete few older spanshots... if not inc the vol size so that you have enough for snaps and reg data

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ogra

Do you have NetApp Snapshot in use ?

Volume ( total size) = LUN ( total size ) + Snapshots ( size)

The above hold true if you are not using any thin-provisioning.

Now the real trick to understand is that the LUN ( total size) is the total size of the LUN. It doesn't matter if your client has 10MB or 100MB free space. It was provisioned from the storage and it's allocated from the volume. Hence, putting data inside a LUN will never contribute to the increase in the used size against a volume.  ( Again to be CLEAR - This holds only true if everything is THICK-Provisioned - DEFAULT).

VKALVEMULA

check with client if you can delete few older spanshots... if not inc the vol size so that you have enough for snaps and reg data

Public