ONTAP Discussions

LUN move question

robverhoeven

Hi all,

I ran into the following situation:

Company has set up volume snapmirror relationship of volume containing a LUN used for Exchange server.

They did a restore of the data to another volume. Now I have a single file (500GB) in a volume.

Will it be possible to create a qtree in the volume and move the file to the qtree...so that it will somehow be recoqnized as a LUN and thus be mapped to an iGroup ?!

I know I can use "mv" to move the file to a Qtree but will I be able to get it recoqnized as a LUN ?!

Any help is much appreciated !!

Thanks in advance!

Rob

3 REPLIES 3

eric_barlier

Hi,

A LUN can reside in both a volume and/or a qtree for it to be used. There is no requirement for it to be in a qtree to be used.

If the LUN is offline, you should be OK to

1. move it with MV command

2. Online it and map it to igroup as it is.

your call if you want to move it or not, there is no real need to for access.

CHeers,

Eric

pascalduk

eric.barlier wrote:

Hi,

A LUN can reside in both a volume and/or a qtree for it to be used. There is no requirement for it to be in a qtree to be used.

If the LUN is offline, you should be OK to

1. move it with MV command

2. Online it and map it to igroup as it is.

your call if you want to move it or not, there is no real need to for access.

CHeers,

Eric

No need to use the OS mv command as there is a "lun move" command in the Ontap CLI which allows you to move a LUN while it is online. Only restriction is that the old and new location need to be in the same volume.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1012082

shaunjurr

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that the operation should be unproblematic.  I regularly use 'mv' to rename qtrees just "above" the lun.  I do this while the lun is online.  The same thing works with changing volume names as well.

While I haven't actually mv'ed a lun into a qtree, as long as it is within the same volume, I wouldn't expect any problems.  The lun doesn't lose any of its own characteristics by such moves within the file system.  Otherwise all such copy operations using snapmirror would be very problematic.

You could always test it with a volume clone, but I think you're pretty safe.  If I had the time, I'd run a quick test, but I think you're good to go.

As always, YMMV, hehe... Good luck.

Public