ONTAP Discussions

MRTG for Filers

rmccarrick

Hi

I have MRTG running for our filers. But there seems to be a limit on the amount of volumes that can be monitored.

Does anyone know and MRTG setting to increase the number of volumes?

thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

rmccarrick

I found a line in the /mrtg/conf/Makefile file:

while [ "$$e" -lt 100 ] ; \

do \

e=`expr $$e + 1` ; \

name=`$(SNMPGET) $$i $(SNMP_COMMUNITY) .1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.2.$$e 2>&1 | sed -e 's/.*= "//' -e 's/".*//'` ; \

Basically this is saying while e is less than 100, get the snmp oid.1, oid.2, oid.3 etc all the way up to oid.99.

When I increase this number (while [ "$$e" -lt 250 ]) and run make again, I caputure more volumes and they show up in the .cfg file for that filer.

HOWEVER!

MRTG adds a graph for those newly found volumes, but only updates up to 90 total those graphs thereafter. Graphs 91, 92 etc are just blank. The previous graphs continue to update. In cron I have '/mrtgprod/bin/mrtg-filer-stats.sh FilerName public' every 5 mins. If I run this manually I get updates for the first 90 volumes and then for the rest of them:

WARNING: Problem with External get '/mrtgprod/bin/get-filer-df.sh FilerName volume_name:

Expected a Number for 'out' but got ''

ERROR: Target[FilerName.df.volume_name][_IN_] ' $target->[108]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data

ERROR: Target[FilerName.df.volume_name][_OUT_] ' $target->[108]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data

mrtg is trying to pull those values out of /mrtg/data/retrieve-filer-FilerName.dat.

I can see that retrieve-filer-FilerName.dat is being build while the snmpget is running, but no matter how many volumes I have in the cfg file, the .dat file doesn't get over 9021 bytes. It stops at the same volume each time. Hence the errors when trying to pull out volume data that isnt in that file.

Anyone have any ideas why those graph are not updating even thos they are in the .cfg file?

padelp1111

The runtime behaviour of MRTG is governed by a configuration file. Run-of-the-mill configuration files can be generated with cfgmaker. (Check cfgmaker). But for more elaborate configurations some hand-tuning is required.

This document describes all the configuration options understood by the mrtg software.

SYNTAX

MRTG configuration file syntax follows some simple rules:

• Keywords must start at the beginning of a line.
  • Lines which follow a keyword line which start with a blank are appended to the keyword line
  • Empty Lines are ignored
  • Lines starting with a # sign are comments.
  • You can add other files into the configuration file using

palas padel

*DON'T cry over anyone who won't cry over you*

Public