ONTAP Discussions

Method to monitor replication stream counts?

aaronh

Hi there,

does anybody know of a reliable method to keep track (historical record) of replication stream counts? i.e. Each controller/ONTAP version have a specific count limit based on various factors. My customer wants to keep track of the used vs maximum for each controller as both a capacity planning function and support RPO (Recovery Point Objective) SLA targets.

Ideally this would be done by one or more of the following;

1) Protection Manager is aware of the stream count utilization and is able automatically stagger the scheduling of protection jobs. Even better would be a function where it could "prioritise" which jobs run first based on policies that are setup by the user. A simple example would be that "Gold" tier snapmirror/snapvault is given preferential access to Snapmirror/Snapvault streams over "Silver" and "Bronze".(Similar to the way Flexshare provides preferential access to Flexvol resources for performance QoS).

2) DFM database has a counter that tracks this and Ops Mgr can display a graph.

3) DFM db counter that can be manually reported so the customer can create their own graphs.

4) Direct ONTAP SDK / API access to extract the counter information. (Although if we can do this, why not just put it into Ops Mgr and Prot Mgr?)

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Aaron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

alapati

Hi Aaron,

rsm show_limits will give you this info. I am not sure if there are ZAPI calls available for the same. I think it is a good idea to have this info presented by our management tools. I will defintely pass on this feedback to the prod mgmt in SMAI.

Regards

Srinath

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

alapati

Hi Aaron,

rsm show_limits will give you this info. I am not sure if there are ZAPI calls available for the same. I think it is a good idea to have this info presented by our management tools. I will defintely pass on this feedback to the prod mgmt in SMAI.

Regards

Srinath

aaronh

Srinath,

can you please clarify this for me? Does the rsm show_limits command show how many streams are used AND available or does it just show the maximum for that particular hardware system?

Thanks,

Aaron

alapati

It shows how many are available on a system AND how many are being used at the time when the command was run. I believe this only works on DOT 7.3 and above in diag mode.

Regards

Srinath

aaronh

Excellent, thanks for the information. This does help.

Public