ONTAP Discussions

Metro Cluster SATA Drives

stejwalker

Hello

I have noticed on the now site MetroCluster Compatibility Matrix http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/olio/guides/metrocluster_compatibility that it states SATA drives are not supported.

Is this really the case with a Metro Cluster?

Is this the same for a V Series Metro Cluster?

Thanks

Steve

5 REPLIES 5

timohofmann

Hi Steve

Yes, with Metros SATA is a no-go. Metro clusters are FC only.

Unfortunately I don't know about V-Series, this COULD work out; I presume your friendly NetApp consultant will be happy to answer this question.

Cheers,

Timo

maximilianschuck

Hello,

SATA Drive are not supported in Fabric MetroCluser (Use FC Switches in the Backend).

SATA Drivers are supported in Streched MetroCluster configurations. SATA Drieves are supported as normal Aggegate and as SyncMirror Aggregate. If you plan to attech SATA Drives only to one MetroCluster Node, note that in pre ONTAP 7.3 your Filer reboots in case on Cluster Failover.

RENEARROW

so is it possible to make a streched metrocluster on a combination of sata and fc. 

in this way.

datacenter 1

node1 with sata disk(pool0) 

node2's pool1 fc disks.

datacenter2

node2 with FC disks (pool0)

node1's pool1 sata disks.

paulstringfellow

I have a metrocluster installed at a customer with 1TB SATA drives in!...

As long as they are installed in DS14 shelves they should be fine…no current support for the DS42 and DS22 SAS shelves as yet…

Hope that help

Paul.

gert_leunis

Hi,

A Fabric MetroCluster is using Brocade switches in the backend. On those switches are the HBA and FC shelves connected. Only FC is listed in the compatibility matrix.

But can you attach a SATA shelf to a HBA and use it locally? So you can create an aggregate on those disks. These disks aren't mirrored via syncmirror, but maybe with snapmirror/snapvault...

NetApp is now working to FC/SAS bridge. And I thought/heard that if the bridge works that they would support SAS disks/shelves in the MetroClusters.

Kind regards,

Gert

Public