ONTAP Discussions

MetroCluster and Active/Active controllers

ralfaro01zero

Is it possible to use MetroCluster with Active/Active controllers? I've only seen Single controller examples on documentation. Is there a document that explains Active/Active Controllers MetroCluster configurations?

I'm new with MetroCluster as you may have notice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

radek_kubka

Hi,

I recommend reading TR-3548, "Best Practices for MetroCluster Design and Implementation", http://www.netapp.com/us/library/technical-reports/tr-3548.html

You can find on page 9 (under FAS31xx considerations):

The only supported configuration is single controller to single controller (stretch or fabric).

Bear in mind that MetroCluster setup is in fact an active/active configuration with the only difference that controllers are dispersed geographically for increased resiliency.

Regards,
Radek

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

radek_kubka

Hi,

I recommend reading TR-3548, "Best Practices for MetroCluster Design and Implementation", http://www.netapp.com/us/library/technical-reports/tr-3548.html

You can find on page 9 (under FAS31xx considerations):

The only supported configuration is single controller to single controller (stretch or fabric).

Bear in mind that MetroCluster setup is in fact an active/active configuration with the only difference that controllers are dispersed geographically for increased resiliency.

Regards,
Radek

sschmitt

oooops... you were faster

Hi,

Metrocluter is  active/active solution like other active/active Storage Controllers from Netapp. But here you have additional mirroring and better desaster recovery features available.

The Controllers are streched to different Datacenters on the same campus or in combination with Fc-Switches in the back up to 100km.

Check out the Metrocluster TR for more details: http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3548.pdf

have fun

Stefan

ralfaro01zero

Thanks guys, I was missing that document.

Cheers.

amiller_1

There's also a good MetroCluster Upgrade Planning Guide as well -- TR-3517 -- which helps with understanding the architecture as well.

Be fore-warned though....MetroCluster is good stuff but FAR more complex than a regular active/active cluster.

NAYABRASOOL

Hi ,

I have question regarding lun creation in metro cluster.If i create a lun in two filers with same naming convention will they be automatically added in to metro cluster else i need to manually perform some command to make them mirrored ????

We have setup like 2 Node clustered Oracles DB and luns will be provided to these server One from primary and another from Mirrored site where two luns will have identical data.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Nayab

radek_kubka

Hi Nayab,

MetroCluster uses SyncMirror  for mirroring aggregates - if you place a volume containing a LUN in such aggregate, it will automatically have two copies, one on each of the aggregate plexes.

Bear in mind secondary plex is read only, so not sure if it is a good fit for your Oracle clustering scenario.

Regards,
Radek

NAYABRASOOL

Hi Radek,

Thanks for the info  

Regards,

Nayab

Public