ONTAP Discussions

Migrate flexvols that contains flexclones

worldgaming

Hi,

did anybody had to move/migrate a flexvol that contains flexclones, all at once?

If so what was the approach?

In my case I have to migrate from one aggr to a new aggr one base flexvol contains a flexclone which is also the base for further 4 more flexclone. The DataONTAP OS is 8.1.2.-7 Mode

I'm OK to schedule a downtime for this purpose.

thanks.

Simion

Just the one flexvol and its clones.
 thanks,; Simion

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

SnapMirror in 8.1 supports flexclones; you should be able to SnapMirror base volume, create FlexClone on destination from the same base snapshot as on source and resync two flexclones. See online backup guide.

SnapMirror does require a license though ...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

billshaffer

Are you copying the whole aggregate, or just the one flexvol and its clones?  I have moved flexclones from one aggr to another using syncmirror, but it was at the aggregate level (and it requires a license - though our SE was happy to spot us a temp).

Bill

worldgaming

Hi Bill,

Just the flexvol and its clones.

I have the syncmirror license and I’m familiar with it, but that doesn’t seem to apply here since I’m not mirroring the aggregate just the flexvol.

Thanks,

Simion

billshaffer

Mirroring the aggregate is the only way I know of to preserve the clones.  You could mirror the whole thing then remove the bits you don't need - but that might leave you with a grossly oversized aggregate.

Any of the other copy methods are volume based, and won't preserve the clone.  If you snapmirror the base volume (or do a vol copy), you'll get the backing snapshots, from which you could recreate the clones at the point in time image of when they were taken, but you'd lose any changes that have happened to the clones since then (I'd have to test that, actually...).

Bill

aborzenkov

Sync mirror is free with current filers (it is included in essentials). Old filers may need license though ...

aborzenkov

SnapMirror in 8.1 supports flexclones; you should be able to SnapMirror base volume, create FlexClone on destination from the same base snapshot as on source and resync two flexclones. See online backup guide.

SnapMirror does require a license though ...

billshaffer

Outstanding - that is good to know.  That's what I get for skipping reading the release notes....

So (as aborzenkov says), if you snapmirror the base vol, create the clone on the destination from the same snapshot it uses on the source, set up a snapmirror relationship between those clones, then create your 4 other clones from the first clone (again, using the same snapshots), and set up snapmirror relationships between those, it should be pretty straightforward - update, restrict access, update, break the snapmirror relationships, rename the vols...

Bill

worldgaming

Thanks Aborsenkov and Bill for your help.

As soon as  I've seen the reference to the "online backup guide" everything  was much clearer for me

Simion

Public