ONTAP Discussions

Mirgation via PM/SSM of a VSM destination volume from a 32 to a 64 bit aggregate on ONTAP 8.1 7-mode?

derose

I have the following configuration Primary --(QSM)-->  Secondary --(VSM)--> Tertiary  which is managed via Protection Manager(OC5.0).  There are over 4000 relationships of this type.  All are managed via PM.

The Primary and Secondary systems are running 7.3.x and must stay that way (FAS3020, FAS2050).  All aggregates are currently 32-bit.

Due to business requirements, the tertiary(VSM destination volumes) must be migrated to a new storage controller(s).

The storage controller(s) are currently running 8.1 and have a large amount of storage 100s of TBs. 

Ideally, I'd like to configure 64-bit aggregates on the new tertiary and utilize SSM to migrate the VSM destination volumes to the new tertiary storage controllers and to 64-bit aggregates at the same time.

However, SSM wil not allow me to choose the 64-bit aggregates as a migration destination.

Is this functionality available in or planned for in a higher/future release of OC 5?

If not, is there a migration workaround, outside of PM/SSM, that, once done, will allow 32 to 64 SM relationships to be managed via PM going forward?

1 REPLY 1

adaikkap

Protection capability of OnCommand 5.0 does not support mirroring between 32bit and 64 bit volumes though ONTAP 8.1 7-Mode. So you will not be able to migrate a volume from 32 to 64 bit using the secondary space management feature of Protection Manager.

This the support for cross mirroring is being developed in the next version of OnCommand which is being built.

As of today PM does not create or discover or import a mirror relationship between 32 and 64 bit volumes. Though homogenous mirror of 32 to 32 and 64 to 64 is supported in On Command 5.0

Regards

adai

PS: Pls post question related to OnCommand products in the OnCommandMgmtSoftware Community to get early responses.

Public