ONTAP Discussions

Move volume?

pbutler6163

I have a netap 3020 with a mix of scsi and sata disks. My storage on my scsi is getting too full and I just purchsed an additional shelf of sata disks. I would like to move the data from the scsi volume to the sata and retain permissions as well as the old vlume name if possible. can this be done easily and how?

27 REPLIES 27

adamfox

From the vol man page:

If data is copied between two filers, each filer must be defined as a trusted host of the other filer. That is, the filer's name must be in the /etc/hosts.equiv file of the other filer. If one filer is not in the /etc/hosts.equiv file of the other filer then "Permission denied" error message is displayed to the user.

Hope this helps.

BrendonHiggins

Are you still having problems with the vol copy?

What is your

options snapmirror.access

set to?

pbutler6163

Actually this did get answered thatnks too all who helped with this. It boilded down to a simple ndmpcopy vol vol command

mdvillanueva

Hi Scott,

Which is less disruptive to use, volcopy -S or Snapmirror?

I assume that with volcopy, you have to pretty much run it once and make sure it completes to the very end. The advantage I can see with Snapmirror is you can pause it. Is this a correct assessment?

Thanks,

Maico

scottgelb

Correct... if a restart checkpoint.  Ideally the mirror finishes (same as vol copy) but with snapmirror you can do incremental updates and a final update prior to cutover so can plan better and with less time to cutover.

mdvillanueva

Is vol copy non disruptive?

scottgelb

Both work off a source snap and copy blocks. Not disruptive. Unless you have contention or performance issues on copying.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Public