ONTAP Discussions

Moving living SV across aggr.

eric_barlier

Hi guys,

We are about to implement SV for the first time here now. I want to use protection manager to do the job for me. As its the first time we implement we d like to get it right

and we are also thinking of workaround if things dont go well, ie. we run out of space in an aggr.

- how easy is it to migrate a SV relationship to a new aggr.?

- can it be done without a new baseline?

- can protection manager be used start to end for this? My understanding is that PM does need allow for file manipulation (snapmirror.conf etc)

Thanks,

Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pascalduk

eric.barlier wrote:

- can protection manager be used start to end for this? My understanding is that PM does need allow for file manipulation (snapmirror.conf etc)

Moving a sv relationship is very easy if you can move the complete volume, using volume snapmirror, to a new aggregate. Moving only a single qtree is trickier and a possible procedure is described in http://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb9540. I have not treid it myself before.

Note: you need a snapmirror license in both cases.

I don't have protection manager, but my guess is that you have to reimport the relationship again. Hopefully others can tell us more about it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pascalduk

eric.barlier wrote:

Moving a sv relationship is very easy if you can move the complete volume, using volume snapmirror, to a new aggregate. Moving only a single qtree is trickier and a possible procedure is described in http://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb9540. I have not treid it myself before.

Note: you need a snapmirror license in both cases.

I don't have protection manager, but my guess is that you have to reimport the relationship again. Hopefully others can tell us more about it.

eric_barlier

Thanks for that. Very helpful, especially the bit about moving qtree. However I think we d be looking into moving volumes. Never know though...

Eric

jmerrill

That is correct, you would need to make Protection Manager aware of the relationship.  it's much easier to replicate to a net new volume (even if you want to move only some of the qtrees).  If that's the case, simply mount the root of the volume via CIFS or NFS and delete the qtrees (directories) you want.

Public