ONTAP Discussions

Moving root vol from 32-bit to 64-bit

dejanliuit

I just upgraded our controllers to Ontap 8.1p1. As we have one 64-bit aggregate I thought it would be excellent moment to move over the root vol to 64-bit and continue converting all aggregates to 64-bit.

The problem is that when I followed the ontap instructions "Changing the root volume" in the Ontap 8.1 System administrators guide, everything was ok until I was about to change which aggregate is the root.

When I tried to assign the 64-bit aggregate as root, the system complained I had to do that in maintenance mode.

This is definitely NOT documented or mentioned, so I stopped there.

I did neither have service-time left, nor nerves to try anything out.

Can anyone tell me what I missed here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

That’s how it should be. “diskroot” means it will become root on next reboot. Keep in mind that the only way to clear “diskroot” is to set root for some other volume and the longer you delay reboot the more different current and future root become. Also any changes done on current root will not be present on copy, so if you will be forced to reboot you get inconsistent configuration. So do not delay rebooting or reset root volume back to original if you do not plan to reboot in next hours.

Also verify that new root volume has “diskroot” flag as well.

“aggr options root” is used in emergency when original root aggregate is for whatever reasons physically unavailable.

You may want to submit documentation feedback regarding this as well. This is highly confusing, I agree, and the part about “aggr options root” had not been present in any previous Data ONTAP version.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Public