ONTAP Discussions

Moving root volume

JOHNYTHENMARRY

Hi,

I need to move the root volume form one aggregate to another onthe same filer. Can we use vol copy command and destroy the existing aggregate.
If someone knows the steps please share

Thanks

Johny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jhenschell

Hi Johny, here is the method I just recently used to move vol0;

1.       Disable the cluster: cf disable

2.       Check the size of current vol0: vol size vol0

3.       Create a new root volume on the SATA aggr:   vol create vol0_new aggr0_sas <SIZE>

4.       Copy the data to the new volume: ndmpcopy /vol/vol0 /vol/vol0_new

5.       Rename the old root volume: vol rename vol0 vol0_old

6.       Rename the new root volume: vol rename vol0_new vol0

7.       Flag the new root volume as the root volume: vol options vol0 root

8.       Reboot the controller: reboot

9.       Confirm the SAS aggr now hosts the root vol0: aggr status                                                                                                                         on the left under Options it should say root on aggr0_sas

10.   Offline and destroy the old volume vol0: vol offline vol0_old    and    vol destroy vol0_old

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

ERKANAKSOY

tried vol move on simulator 8.2.1 7m

ontap3> vol move start vol0 aggr2

vol move: Specified source volume is the root volume

ontap3>

IGORSTOJNOV

Oh, you weren't speaking in general but the actual vol move procedure. Sorry!

Hm, I guess it's not possible. That's too bad. The phases vol move goes through seem to be designed not to allow any data loss and I've used it many times on production volumes. I suppose root volume is a different sort. Thanks for the test!

scottgelb

Note that in 7-mode vol move is onl y for San volumes and only intra node. With cDot both NAS and San intra or internode. CDot root move is a bit different in that it is rebuilt instead of copied. 8.2 makes it pretty easy but not as easy as 7-mode. 8.1 cDot was much more involved to move root.

Public