ONTAP Discussions

NDMPCOPY and handling cli disconnects

GARYWCONTROLCIRCLE

Hi all,

I've got to migrate some data from 32 bt to 64 bit volumes and, unfortunately, this is OnTap 8.02 so snapmirrr and vol move are out of the window so I'm going to use NDMPCopy but I've found that with NDMPCOPY when the cli closes the copy is killed.

Is there any way to prevent this or to keep the copy going if the CLI gets disconnected?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

daly

Hi Gary,

I haven't experienced a situation where closing the console kills what the console is doing.  Maybe connect via the RLM and see if that helps.

GARYWCONTROLCIRCLE

Nor have I - except with NDMPCopy for some reason! I can tweak the timeouts but the SP/RLM may be the better option

paul_wolf

the NDMPCOPY command should not be interrupted if the console session times out. As was suggested, use the SP or RLM port to connect, either that or connect directly to the phyical console.

Have you looked at Qtree SnapMirror (QSM) to migrate the volumes from 32b aggr to 64b aggr? This is how I migrated from ONTAP7 to ONTAP8 when 8.0 was first released.

GARYWCONTROLCIRCLE

The data isn't in a qtree so QSM is not an option.

paul_wolf

Technically it is on a qtree as each FlexVol root is a qtree by default. Don't beleive me? Run 'qtree status' on your controller.

But in this case, it needs to be snapmirrored to a Qtree destination.

So Toaster1\Vol1 would need to be snapmirrored to Toaster1\Vol2\Qtree1

The command would look like this:

snapmirror initialize -S toaster1:/vol/vol1/- toaster1:/vol/vol2/qtree1

daly

We ended up updating ONTAP to v8.1.1 so we could do an in-place migration from 32bit to 64bit.  Is that an option for you?

GARYWCONTROLCIRCLE

Yes but in three weeks time. Right now the client wants this work done **now** for politic reasons

daly

You're in a tough spot. 

Maybe try issuing the ndmpcopy command via a remote call?  For example, from my Linux desktop, I can do something like 'ssh root@filer ndmpcopy <options>'.  I've never tried issuing an 'ndmpcopy' that way, but it may be worth a shot.

Public