ONTAP Discussions

NFS mount - failed: RPC Error: Unable to receive

rondebbs1

I'm trying to get familiar with NFS mounts (I'm familiar with CIFS shares).  In my home lab on 9.4, using System Manager,  I have followed the NFS Configuration Express Guide.  Per the instructions I created a new SVM with an NFS volume and export.  I'm using just the NFS protocol and UNIX security style.  I have a volume called nfsc and a junction of /nfsc_NFS_volume.  I installed Ubuntu version 16 in my lab with IP of 172.23.4.2.  Per express guide I have created an export rule for 0.0.0.0/0 that gives access wide open access - read-only/Read-write/allow superuser access etc.  I also went in the default rule and opened everything up for that rule as well (apparently needed for the root volume).

On the Linux host I have  created a dir called /mnt/folder below.  Then you can see the error I get when trying to mount it with a couple of different mount commands.

rondebbs@ubuntu:/$ cd /mnt
rondebbs@ubuntu:/mnt$ mkdir /mnt/folder

rondebbs@ubuntu:/mnt$ sudo mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3,hard 172.23.2.13:/nfsc_NFS_volume /mnt/folder
mount.nfs: mount to NFS server '172.23.2.13:/nfsc_NFS_volume' failed: RPC Error: Unable to receive
rondebbs@ubuntu:/mnt$

rondebbs@ubuntu:/mnt$ sudo mount 172.23.2.13:/nfsc_NFS_volume /mnt/folder
mount.nfs: mount to NFS server '172.23.2.13:/nfsc_NFS_volume' failed: RPC Error: Unable to receive
rondebbs@ubuntu:/mnt$

From the linux host I can ping the nfsc lif at 172.23.2.13  and from the Netapp command line I can ping the Linux host at 172.23.4.2 but for some reason can not do the mount.  Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

1 REPLY 1

rondebbs1

Here are the export rules I have created - everything pretty much wide open for now until I can get mounted.

cluster1::> vserver export-policy rule show -vserver nfsc -policyname nfsc
Policy Rule Access Client RO
Vserver Name Index Protocol Match Rule
------------ --------------- ------ -------- --------------------- ---------
nfsc nfsc 1 nfs 0.0.0.0/0 any

cluster1::> vserver export-policy rule show -vserver nfsc -policyname default
Policy Rule Access Client RO
Vserver Name Index Protocol Match Rule
------------ --------------- ------ -------- --------------------- ---------
nfsc default 1 nfs 0.0.0.0/0 any

cluster1::>

Public