ONTAP Discussions

NetApp R200 data migration

rbauman79

We have a NetApp R200 running DOT 7.3.3 that has bascially been sitting idle in a corner for far too long with old archived data on it. We are trying to migrate that data off to get rid of it  by leveraging snapmirror and send it to one of our FAS2240-4 arrays running DOT 8.2.2. Our problem we are running into is the R200 had a trial license installed back in 2007/2008 when we migrated the data over to a FAS 3020. We left all the snapshots on the R200 though. Unfortunately, that trial license has expired and we cannot add a new trial license. i reached out to my rep who got me in touch with a SE at NetApp. they sent me a bunch of trial codes but i keep getting this error:  Promotional license installation limit exceeded for snapmirror

NetApp says there is no way around it and that i will have to contact their Professional services team to assist. They cannot even get a new purchased snapmirror license because that array is EOL/EOS.  I read somewhere that someone mentioned if you reinstall DOT on the box that it will clear the trial licenses and let you use a new trial license. Anyone comment on that? Will that work. if so, will the config/aggregates/volumes/data etc all stay intact or will they all be lost?

What other options do i have to migrate the data if snapmirror is a no go? It is about 10TB of data. 

Feel free to ask any questions for things i did not mention. 

thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lwebb

Sorry you  may have to type "priv set advanced" then see if you can bump up the demo limit.   then the trial license may work.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

TMACMD

https://xcp.netapp.com

Use XCP and copy the data.

rbauman79

Will this tool keep all the data in the existing snapshot structure? We have month end snapshots with project data that we still need to retain. 

TMACMD

it will not.

aborzenkov

If you have spare disks which can be used to install Data ONTAP on (or separate root aggregate to overwrite) - yes, you can then access your data on another existing aggregate with all snapshots. This is one of great 7-Mode features that C-Mode lacks.

This is high risk activity, it is easy to accidentally wipe out data, so professional service does not sound like bad idea.

rbauman79

i have 5 spare disks listted when running: vol status -s

Anyone recommend a company that i could hire to assist with this that has experience installing DOT onto a separate aggregate/volume?

AlexDawson

Hi there!

XCP is indeed the recommended option at this point. 

For 7 mode systems, a portion of the root volume stores data related to system licensing, and the only way to wipe that is to re-install the system.

With the right experience and knowledge, it's an easy activity if you have spare disks or a dedicated root aggregate, but as @aborzenkov says, there is the risk of data loss, so it is suggested to get a VAR/Partner PS engineer to perform it (I believe our PS requires that the system is under a support contract, which is no longer available for that platform)

lwebb

You might want to bump up:

options license_demo.limit

paul_stejskal

Copy it host side? StorageX or XCP would work.

rbauman79

@lwebb wrote:

You might want to bump up:

options license_demo.limit

when i type options i do not see that listed anywhere. is there some other method to locate this setting?

lwebb

Sorry you  may have to type "priv set advanced" then see if you can bump up the demo limit.   then the trial license may work.

rbauman79

@lwebb wrote:

Tried that too but i don't see that specific option listed in the output. i even copied the cli output, put it into notepad and did a search looking for license or license_demo but came back with 0 results. 

rbauman79

trial license has now been added. 

ftlsan3-old 7.3.3

NYCSAN1-A 8.2.2

i have created my new destination volumes and restricted them both.

i have made the destination volumes larger than the source

i have added the snapmirrors to the destination /etc/snapmirror.conf file

from source when i run:

i am getting this error: snapmirror initialize -S FTLSAN3-OLD:vol2 NYCSAN1-A:FTLSAN3OLDArchiveVOL2R200

Illegal destination filer specification: NYCSAN1-A.
Destination filer, if specified, must match the local host: FTLSAN3-OLD

Never seen this error before. 

rbauman79

Am i not allowed to snapmirror to a different array? Is this a limitation of the trial license?

TMACMD

Should not be limited. The destination must be the same or newer than the source

in all likelihood you have a typo someplace

check the output on each controller for "hostname"

check all the snapmirror files needed on both sides for the correct names. Make sure the all names are in both /etc/hosts files. If you are using the snapmirror options make sure they are typed correctly. 

verify all that and let us know

lwebb

Snapmirrors are destination driven.  Are you running the command from the destination filer? 

rbauman79

it was an ID10T error.... 🙂 

first snapmirror is running. Helps to run the commands from the destination. i also had to add the destination filer to the source snapmirror.allow file as well. 

second snapmirror fails because it was setup as a traditional volume not a flex volume (dont ask me why. i was not employed here when that was created). It is also the current root volume. 

What is the best approach for this? Create a traditional volume on the destination for now. migrate the data over and then covert to flex volume?

paul_stejskal

Wow a tradvol. 😮

Honestly if it's the root volume, I don't think there would be anything on there that would need saving. I'd double check what's on there though, as I'm not sure how they set it up.

rbauman79

Unfortunately, we have month end snapshots in the root volume.  Current size is about 10TB of data in the root volume.

TMACMD

Well....

after you have freed up space you could possibly get creative

let's say you got the data mirrored from vol1. OK. Stop the mirror and delete the volume.  Recreate the volume locally and maybe do a local ndmpcopy to a flex vol. then replicate

rbauman79

Or just create another wasteful trad volume. migrate the data on newer array with more space and then covert to flex. Or just hope management decides we don't need that data anymore and do a permanent delete!! Sadly, the latter is not very likely....

Public