ONTAP Discussions

NetApp R200 data migration

rbauman79

We have a NetApp R200 running DOT 7.3.3 that has bascially been sitting idle in a corner for far too long with old archived data on it. We are trying to migrate that data off to get rid of it  by leveraging snapmirror and send it to one of our FAS2240-4 arrays running DOT 8.2.2. Our problem we are running into is the R200 had a trial license installed back in 2007/2008 when we migrated the data over to a FAS 3020. We left all the snapshots on the R200 though. Unfortunately, that trial license has expired and we cannot add a new trial license. i reached out to my rep who got me in touch with a SE at NetApp. they sent me a bunch of trial codes but i keep getting this error:  Promotional license installation limit exceeded for snapmirror

NetApp says there is no way around it and that i will have to contact their Professional services team to assist. They cannot even get a new purchased snapmirror license because that array is EOL/EOS.  I read somewhere that someone mentioned if you reinstall DOT on the box that it will clear the trial licenses and let you use a new trial license. Anyone comment on that? Will that work. if so, will the config/aggregates/volumes/data etc all stay intact or will they all be lost?

What other options do i have to migrate the data if snapmirror is a no go? It is about 10TB of data. 

Feel free to ask any questions for things i did not mention. 

thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lwebb

Sorry you  may have to type "priv set advanced" then see if you can bump up the demo limit.   then the trial license may work.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

paul_stejskal

Looks like you can use ndmpcopy. I don't know if that release has ndmpcopy, but if it does that *might* work.

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1196986/html/GUID-B38626FE-943A-4B46-8500-AD45C3C1CE2B.html

rbauman79

It says in the NDMP copy link you sent this.  I am reading this like none of the snapshots will be carried over which is the data i need to preserve. 

Result

The target volume now contains the data from the source volume.

Snapshot copies on the source volume are not affected by this procedure. However, they are not replicated to the target FlexVol volume as part of the migration.

AlexDawson

Hi there,

I think you have your answer in creating another tradvol on the destination system, or rsync across multiple generations of files to recreate the snapshot hierarchy and let dedupe take care of the bloat. 

As far as I can tell, we don't have other options. Flexvol has been our recommendation for approximately 15 years at this point 😕

rbauman79

For now we just went the route of being wasteful and created a traditional volume to replicate the data over to the FAS2240 system and to get rid of the R200 unit. We will play around with getting the data out of the traditional volume and into a flex volume on the 2240 since i have more spare disks to play with. 

Thank you all for your help.  I really appreciate it!

TMACMD

If I recall, you might be able to do a Qtree snapmirror

I am pretty sure it was a thing. I am not sure when it happened or if it continued and still exists. 
give it a try

I am not sure if that will work from a Q tree on a traditional volume to a Q tree on a flexible volume wouldn't hurt to give it a try

Public