ONTAP Discussions

NetBackup vs Commvault vs SnapProtect

dwutke

Hi all,

We are looking to consulidate all our backup tools into hopefully one. We currently run in a netapp , microsoft, vmware, backupexec, symantec EV envirnment and use snapmanager tools for exchange, sql, sharepoint, virtual servers. We also use netapp snapvault dataprotection manager to send the data offsite. We use other scripting tools to backup windows luns, and also backup CIFS, and server system states of remaining physical servers.

We are looking for one backup tool that can manage everything if possible and can do the following:

-Manage all these backups (primary netapp snapshots, secondary netapp snapshots to a different site, and finally to tape)

-Easily manage backup microsoft apps (exchange, sharepoint, sql, windows servers luns), VMs, and Netapp CIFS from one management tool. Can set frequency and different retention levels easily. Currently we use many tools including scripting which we want to avoid.

-Convert our secondary site of backups to live versions of critical servers if needed. Can easily test this.

-Ability to include various system state backups of physical servers if possible.

We have 7-10 TB of data to backup.

We are looking at Commvault, NetBackup, Backupexec and Snapprotect (Netapp/Commvault tool)

Any helpful information appreciated!

Dean

5 REPLIES 5

rodrigon

Hi Dean,

How are you?

As you describe your environment SnapProtect appears to fit better than other tools, but before starting to talk about which tool you should use, I believe you should list all your business needs related to backup/restore.

What are your backup policies?

What are your retention policies? (at primary, secondary and tape);

Which are your RPO/RTO?

After this, you could look to your options and decided which best fit in your environment.

All of 3 tools you put in the title makes backup/restore, but which one can does the backup/restore to support your business needs? Make sense?

All the best,

Rodrigo Nascimento

NetApp - Enjoy it!

dwutke

Hi Rodrigo,

Fairly standard retention: primary is shorter time periods, secondary is longer to 120 days, tape goes back as far as 7 years.

RPO - hours for particular apps, a week for less critical static data/servers.

RTO - within minutes to half day for primary and for secondary similar so we can test backup site recovery for some apps, tape can be longer.

Can Snaprotect backup windows O/S luns and physical server system states and set retention levels of these backups?

Dean

rodrigon

Hi Dean,

SnapProtect works for any application that has NetApp as its primary storage, for this reason, I believe it cannot manage physical servers system state, but I'll send a message for a distribution list dedicated for snapprotect and let you know as soon as I receive an answer.

If I'm right, you should go with Commvault. It has SnapProtect and other modules for your needs.

All the best,

Rodrigo Nascimento

NetApp - Enjoy it!

rodrigon

HI Dean,

As I said before, SnapProtect is for applications that runs on NetApp as its primary storage.

The guys at snapprotect dl said you can use OSSV plugin at SnapProtect to backup Windows OS luns and Windows iDA agent for the System State.

All the best,

Rodrigo Nascimento

NetApp - Enjoy it!

dwutke

With the use of snapprotect and the OSSV plugin for backing up windows os luns and system states can these backups still be managed through the snapprotect GUI to set different retention levels?

Thanks,

Dean

Public