ONTAP Discussions

Network Interface Group -- mode: Multiple versus LACP

SMASHINGPUMPKIN

Hello,

I'm setting up an Interface group of 2 ethernet interfaces for IP storage in a test environment.

The switch doesn't support LACP, so I'm going with mode "multiple".

However, in general, I was wondering what the differences (benefits / disadvantages) of both modes are.

When creating an interface group with the onCommand system manager, the following descriptions are given for the 3 options at hand:

* Single - Only one of the ports is active at a time

* Multiple - All ports are simultaneously active

* LACP - LACP protocol determines which port should be used

What is the difference between LACP and Multiple? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?

Is there a difference in max bandwidth and load balancing? Any other important differences?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov
For iSCSI it is better to use native host based multipathing across individual links; it is more flexible and gives you true load balancing.

Otherwise multi is static and trusts you to configure partner correctly and LACP is using heartbeat to detect each link health. So in theory LACP can detect link failure even if physically interface is up; and it provides some protection against misconfiguration. They are the same as far as load distribution is concerned.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

aborzenkov

What is "IP storage"? iSCSI?

SMASHINGPUMPKIN

I plan to do tests with both NFS and iSCSI.

aborzenkov
For iSCSI it is better to use native host based multipathing across individual links; it is more flexible and gives you true load balancing.

Otherwise multi is static and trusts you to configure partner correctly and LACP is using heartbeat to detect each link health. So in theory LACP can detect link failure even if physically interface is up; and it provides some protection against misconfiguration. They are the same as far as load distribution is concerned.

Sahana

Hi

Refer https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=3010095 for more information.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

SMASHINGPUMPKIN

Thank you aborzenkov and Sahana!

Public